Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Unaffiliated

what % of bigger dudes have succes with the 10pJJ?

Just wandering,

guys over 180lbs

are there any that train purely with eddie, and how much success do they have in sub tourneys and MMA fights?

Array

School
    Pardee Combat/CoringaoBJJ (Future home of 10th Planet Jiujitsu Ballground, GA)
    180lbs...well we have alot of those at our gym that are great with RG. I have a couple of guys 220 and above that can sink in most everything from RG, minus a very few moves that take more flexiblity. Im 195 but Im really long and lanky, and my flex is good because of my X Yoga exercises.

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    I dont know about where you train but UNDER 180 is a minority here at my 2 schools. I'm approx 165 now and I have guys from 180 up thru 260 that train with me in primarily RG. As Coringao stated above, they can sink anything save for a few super flexi positions (Sorcerer, etc). In fact my biggest guy (Recently cut from 260 to 250) is one of the few that can hit double lotus. Size and weight can obviously be a limitation in some cases, but those are few. Anyone can become flexible and 10TH Planet Jiu Jitsu is not weight or size restrictive. The fact is our system is more allowing of open mindedness and adaptation. For example Eddie will remind you all that a simple move like the Tepee is the brainchild and adaptation of a short-legged practitioner named Scott Rodondo (MTRG pg. 159 -Tepee) So, to answer your question directly, i'd venture that the success rate is somewhere around 95% provided that person applies himself, stretches and reps his balls off! And thats no different for us smaller guys either

Array

School
    Huntsville Jiu Jitsu
    Amir from HQ comes to mind...he just held his own against Xande Ribeiro, I'd say that speaks for itself.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    I think the perception big guys cant handle technical stuff comes from the fact its too easy to rely on size and strength if you big. It might work at the time, but your not learning anything.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Size has makes no difference with flexibilty. Just have to work at it. I am around 195 when not cutting weight and I have no issues with the rb game. Sometimes issues come up when I roll with our guys around 220 but you just adjust and a lot of time it is easier to sub them due to how tight some of the positions are. Main thing is control big dudes posture.Just keep working at it and work twice as hard on flexibility. From what I have seen big dudes love to stack so make sure your foot is on their hip to help control that and a lot of time it makes it easier to play rb. Worst case work your half guard/butterfly untill the flexibilty comes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    im 6ft 4, about 210lbs and i find having longer legs than most people helps with my 10th planet game. I can stretch people out really good with my lockdown, making my whip ups prety easy. Also having the extra strength with my size makes my clinching in the RG alot easier than I imagine it would be for someone smaller

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    while it is harder for me to do RG..i doing pretty good with lockdown and alot of 10th planet sweeps and the twister...but im not very flexible .,,im sure with some more time id eventualy get rubberguard down..

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    I'm the 250 lb'er that Neale is talking bout', and I'm 6' 5", I started dabblin in rubberguard like 2yrs ago and although i had no instructor and couldn't wrap my head around the system, one thing i could understand was the stretches. thats the hardest thing in my opinion. is getting all flexi and stuff. pulling mission control w/a 6' 5" frame is stupid easy, in normal guard (closed) w/o to much to do i can scratch the bottoms of my feet! lol, i really think weight is more of a hinderance than height legs fold beer guts not so much.

im 220 and dont have any problem doing RG except i dont get the reps in i would like, i can get to double lotus and i get cussed out alot by training partners for being so damn flexible because my size throws them off
    "If you believe, then you have already taken the first step towards your achievement."

Rickson Gracie

www.Primate-Fitness.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast