Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford

Ice bath - tried it for the first

Just wondering if any of you out there use ice baths regularly. I've read and heard a lot of professional fighters and football players swear by them, do you find them to be beneficial?

if you can get your hands on the 4 hour body by tim ferris and have a look at the way he uses them in conjuntion with a piping hot shower cuts recovery time down dramaticly and also increases testostrone production

Array

School
    10th Planet Hollywood
    I did hot water followed by 10 minutes of ice cold (a la 4 Hour Body mentioned above) for a while. I found I needed to set a timer, otherwise I would think it had been 10 minutes when it had only been one. I did find it to be invigorating, and felt like a million bucks every time it was over. However, after a few weeks I started dreading getting under that cold water every shower, and eventually stopped.

I am not sure if it actually had any beneficial effects aside from waking me up, as those things are hard to quantify. I think it should be said that it may increase testosterone. I do not think the science on that is definitive. It also may improve immune function, but I think that is another uncertainty.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    For in between Two-A-Days I think they help but it could be a placebo effect

Array

School
    Sergio Penha
    They will make you mentally tougher! I feel it's great after hard training but it's a pain for me to always be buying bags of ice.

Array

School
    Unaffiliated
    You must have just watched UFC Primetime Episode 2. I just watched it and was wondering what the science was behind it.
    Jon Jones in ice bath: "It's all for you Rashad... it's all for you"

Array

School
    BJJ Akademie Berlin
    As I am now in my mid-30's my recovery time has gotten longer and anything to help it seems like something I would be willing to try. HEre is an article on "cold saunas". Apparently they are being used by the NBA as well as other teams. This is an article from ESPN mag about it via a company that makes cold saunas.

The science seems legit and if the science is legit for the high tech way then it should work for the low tech way also. Maybe not as dramatic, but still there should be some benefits. Enjoy the article.

http://www.healthycold.com/files/ESPN%20Cryotherapy.pdf

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll certainly check out the book Clinton suggested. That icesauna article was interesting...I don't know if I could do that though . I tried the ice bath last night and lasted 8 mins. Super painful for 4 mins but after that I went numb and it was a breeze. I must say I'm significantly less sore today. I think I'm going to use the ice bath theraphy every 3-4 days depending on how intense I've been trainning. If you haven't given it a shot I'd suggest going for it just warn your neighbors as you might scream when you first sit in the tub

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Ice baths are where its at. As a former competitive hockey player the 70 game seasons along with a rigorous practice schedule can take a toll on your body and you look for every option possible to recover quickly. Ice baths are a staple! Our athletic trainers would have us cold bath (which is just cold water) and alternate with an ice bath every other night. 8-12 mins is usually all you need. Also Epsom Salt Soaks are key as well. That's just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast