Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC

Rener Gracie speaks on Eddie Bravo

I just listened to a Rener Gracie interview on TapouT radio. It's pretty standard Rener stuff and most of it is stuff you've heard before. At one point though, the interviewer asks about other styles of Jiu Jitsu and mentions 10th Planet specifically.

Rener doesn't say anything negative about Eddie. He basically says Eddie teaches jiu jitsu through his own filter -one of flexibility. So if a student can fit into that filter then the style might work for him. But if a student is looking for jiu jitsu that can be done by anyone, then Gracie jiu jitsu is what you'd want. Again, it's nothing we haven't heard before, but since the interview is new I thought I'd post the link here.

I wanted to post the time where he makes the Eddie comments, but it's impossible to see the time count on the video. The counter moves from left to right while the audio plays and I can't read it. It may be around the 35 minute mark. It's about 80% of the way through the interview. The link is here:

http://www.tapoutlive.com/media/8722..._Rener_Gracie/

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Cool thanks. Gotta love Renergy.

Array

School
    Academia De La Hova Jiu Jitsu
    starts at around 64:45, he never stops talking about stuff that happened 20 years ago. apparently you cant learn street defense from non gracie jiu jitsu either.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    he makes it seem like you have to be flexable before you can learn 10pjj but its like yoga doesn't mean you can't do it because your not the rubberman.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside, California
    "Watching Royce Gracie compete against Ismail was like going to a museum of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu."
    Mario Sperry.
    Wallid Ismail beat Royce Gracie. Mario Sperry was a training partner of Ismail. Mario Sperry
    broke away from the Gracies because they would not incorporate wrestling, boxing
    and muay thai into their art. Basically because the Gracie's are closed minded.

Anyway, have you ever read what these guys said about training
    and the Torrance Gracie Academy? Some interesting stuff.
    Chris Brennan, Mark Laimon and Roy Harris
    They all pretty much said the same things. Gracie's
    don't progress. They don't teach cutting edge modern
    J.J> They're stuck in the past. They're in
    it for the money. They think Gracie J.J. has it all
    and doesn't need anything else.

We at 10th Planet do it all. Wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai
    leglocks and anything else that works.

Come on Rener, should have wrestled in high school.
    Hell, he should be training with Eddie Bravo or at some
    10th Planet school where he could learn the Rubber
    Guard and wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Timmermans View Post
    he makes it seem like you have to be flexable before you can learn 10pjj but its like yoga doesn't mean you can't do it because your not the rubberman.
    Bad analogy, yoga can be done by anyone but advanced yoga requires strength and flexibility that take time and discipline to develop. And honestly many people do not want to invest the time needs to perform the one-legged king pigeon pose. Being able to effectively use the Rubber Guard DOES require flexibility that most adult males do not naturally have and requires atleast months of dilligent flexibility training, Rener is correct on this. He is also correct on his comments about "filters", everyone does this; developed their own Jiu Jitsu based on their competencies, included Rener himself. (notice how he controls back mount next time you see him roll, 99% of ppl can't do that). What's important is that the GJJA tries to create the most universal Jiu Jitsu and 10P is creating a style that is extremely dangerous to those who can/do develope their hip flexibility

You didn't listen to his interview huh? They study everything, Rener teaches his students the Twister and is boss at leglocks, Ryron incorporates wrestling into basic training for new students (clinch controls, body fold takedown, rear takedown, and more for advanced students). But they aren't a MMA school and they aren't MMA fighters, they try and condense things down to simple easy techniques that non-athletic students can easily add to their arsenal. It's that simple.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    The rubber guard is a huge part of 10th Planet JJ, but it's not the only part. Lockdown, dog fight, spiderweb, twister and truck are all staples of the 10th Planet diet, but none of those positions require more than average flexibility. In fact, the basic rubber-guard path doesn't require much flexibility either, just reps and hip movement. I speak from first-hand experience.

I didn't choose 10th Planet for the rubber guard. I chose it because I wanted to learn NO-GI jiu-jitsu. That remains for me the biggest selling point of any 10th Planet school. That being said, I love the techniques.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey Loewen View Post
    Bad analogy, yoga can be done by anyone but advanced yoga requires strength and flexibility that take time and discipline to develop. And honestly many people do not want to invest the time needs to perform the one-legged king pigeon pose. Being able to effectively use the Rubber Guard DOES require flexibility that most adult males do not naturally have and requires atleast months of dilligent flexibility training, Rener is correct on this. He is also correct on his comments about "filters", everyone does this; developed their own Jiu Jitsu based on their competencies, included Rener himself. (notice how he controls back mount next time you see him roll, 99% of ppl can't do that). What's important is that the GJJA tries to create the most universal Jiu Jitsu and 10P is creating a style that is extremely dangerous to those who can/do develope their hip flexibility
    but some guys are killers in 10p without the flexibility of eddie so his filter is broken and there is an advanced rubberguard game also just like theres advanced yoga that not everybody puts the time into learn.

Good point, those particular moves do t require much flexibility, but they require constant squeezing pressure to be effective. That's a principle from Bravo's books. To be effective means training for some static strength. Twister, Dogfight, Spiderweb and the truck also count on a opponent being within 30 lbs of your weight to latch onto limbs and control tightly. The whip up in particular requires too much core strength for me personally, I have a weak core and can barely do that on ppl my size. Its hard to make an argument that 10P was created for everyone rather than athletes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast