Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just joined! Got any tips for a white belt?

I just registered online and I am now officially a pro member of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu online. Yup, online because there's no 10th planet jiu jitsu anywhere near me.. well, unless you count an hour drive as being near me.

But anyways, I've been watching Eddie Bravo's videos on Youtube for a while now and I've always wanted to learn his techniques. They're by far the best techniques I've seen and seeing as how I don't live anywhere near a 10th Planet, I registered online to view all of his videos. I look forward to learning those techniques and maybe even visiting the 10th Planet HQ one day! (If I can beat traffic)

With that being said, anyone got any tips for someone that's just getting started? I'm a rookie when it comes to Jiu Jitsu. I don't even know the basics. I mean, I know the basic names of submissions but I don't know how to execute them myself. There's a certain way or technique to pull off those submissions and I don't know them. So anyone wanna help me out? Got any tips or tricks? Which submissions should I be practicing first? What are the basics?
    Last edited by HaroldK; 05-20-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Practice the most simple moves that you find work. Get good at a couple moves from the most basic positions. Make those moves your go to moves. Remember thry should be techniques that work on everybody, not just people of a certain size or experience level. Practice as often as you can and enjoy yourself.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox
    Don't quit! work on learning the positions first or you will be hurting yourself in the long run. Knowing how to execute a Rear naked choke is awesome but useless unless you know how to maintain the back. Also, try and get to HQ (or the closest moon to you) as much as possible!

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    The only way to get better is to beat somebody. Sadly, this is most difficult when you're just starting out. In other words you've got a tough climb at the very beginning, but after you get your first submission it will start to feel like a cakewalk. By the time you're a purple belt, which should typically take about 6-8 months if you're going twice a week, you'll practically be bored with jiu-jitsu it'll be so easy. Your only chance at beating guys at white belt lies in finding someone who is newer than you. Once you find that person, roll with them every chance you get. Since you yourself are new to the sport, the other guys in the gym will practically be stepping over each other trying to spar with you to make a name for themselves. You can't let them treat you like a fresh fish. Find the scrawniest, least coordinated looking guy in the dojo and call him out. Depending on how badly you crush him (or her. Don't be above picking on the 90 pound girl if she looks like she gives up easily), the other guys will leave you alone. Congratulations, your cherry is safe. Also, your instructor will try to give you some spiel about "learning the fundamentals" or some shit. Don't listen to him. It's just a way for him to trick you into feeling better about getting tapped all the time so you'll come back. He's gotta make a living somehow, though, so try not to take it personally. But whatever you do, don't trust him. Not as far as you can throw him, anyway. Instead, while everyone else is working on their guard recovery drills, you need to be polishing that flying triangle/arm-bar you learned online. The essence of jiu-jitsu is surprise. If you are going to beat anyone, even joe blow off the street, you need to come at them fast and unpredictably. Most jiu-jitsu matches are over in the first 30 seconds. It's no wonder that 9 out of 10 times, the guy who grabs the other guy first wins.

So, to recap:
    -Find someone smaller, weaker and less experienced than you, and maul them.
    -Don't get punked by the bigger guys in the class. Make up some excuse like having diarrhea if they ask you to spar with them.
    -Go balls out like you're trying to tear the other guy's (OR GIRL'S, I cannot stress this enough) head off. Catch them fast, and catch them early.
    -Pay lip service to your sensei, but remember he's in it for the money, so don't believe a word he says.

Welcome! Learn from everywhere; stay open-minded. Tap when you need to!

There isn't much that can be done without a partner, but you can shrimp, stretch, and work on general mobility. Youtube has a lot of solo drills and exercises worth checking out.
    Last edited by DustinF; 05-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Rule Number one about fight club... Don't talk about Fight Club.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    Some tips?

Show up to training, have an open mind, and the rest will follow. It doesn't have to be a 10th Planet gym, any BJJ school will suffice. If you want to get good, it's time for a lifestyle change. Sort out a diet plan that suits you and look into starting Yoga for flexiblity and core strength. Work on your squeeze. Constantly work on your fundamentals: hip movement; leverage; balance, flow.

When you lose, don't get upset. Use it as motivation and a learning experience. When you win, be humble. Adopt the mindset that there is always somebody faster, always somebody better. Help your training partners. BREATHE! Drill technique in class, drill technique before class, drill technique after class.

The most important thing to do is enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the world of Jiu Jitsu

Array

School
    GB Freestyle Judo Club, Holly BJJ
    When you train you learn the chant position before submission. Well learning is the same way, learn your positions before worrying about the awesome super cool subs. When it comes to 10P trace the position to it's most basic form and start training there. Ex. rubber guard. Before you can feel comfortable truly utilizing rubber guard you should first be comfortable maintaining normal closed and open guards. Then be comfortable braking someone down in your guard and clinching them and then rubber guard/mission control. If you approach everything you look at in terms of finding out the first step and then each step afterwards you will one day Master The System lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hollywood
    I'd suggest rolling with a new white belt. When i roll with other people, some get so aggressive and just start tossing me around and submitting me violently that it starts pissing me off and i feel like rage quitting, but i keep my cool. If you roll with a white belt, they won't have so much ego that it'll be much easier to develop proper technique. You and I are probably the newest guys in the system so it would be cool if we could roll together.

Array

School
    10th Planet West LA
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stager View Post
    The only way to get better is to beat somebody. Sadly, this is most difficult when you're just starting out. In other words you've got a tough climb at the very beginning, but after you get your first submission it will start to feel like a cakewalk. By the time you're a purple belt, which should typically take about 6-8 months if you're going twice a week, you'll practically be bored with jiu-jitsu it'll be so easy. Your only chance at beating guys at white belt lies in finding someone who is newer than you. Once you find that person, roll with them every chance you get. Since you yourself are new to the sport, the other guys in the gym will practically be stepping over each other trying to spar with you to make a name for themselves. You can't let them treat you like a fresh fish. Find the scrawniest, least coordinated looking guy in the dojo and call him out. Depending on how badly you crush him (or her. Don't be above picking on the 90 pound girl if she looks like she gives up easily), the other guys will leave you alone. Congratulations, your cherry is safe. Also, your instructor will try to give you some spiel about "learning the fundamentals" or some shit. Don't listen to him. It's just a way for him to trick you into feeling better about getting tapped all the time so you'll come back. He's gotta make a living somehow, though, so try not to take it personally. But whatever you do, don't trust him. Not as far as you can throw him, anyway. Instead, while everyone else is working on their guard recovery drills, you need to be polishing that flying triangle/arm-bar you learned online. The essence of jiu-jitsu is surprise. If you are going to beat anyone, even joe blow off the street, you need to come at them fast and unpredictably. Most jiu-jitsu matches are over in the first 30 seconds. It's no wonder that 9 out of 10 times, the guy who grabs the other guy first wins.

So, to recap:
    -Find someone smaller, weaker and less experienced than you, and maul them.
    -Don't get punked by the bigger guys in the class. Make up some excuse like having diarrhea if they ask you to spar with them.
    -Go balls out like you're trying to tear the other guy's (OR GIRL'S, I cannot stress this enough) head off. Catch them fast, and catch them early.
    -Pay lip service to your sensei, but remember he's in it for the money, so don't believe a word he says.
    LOL! Stager quit being a jerk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast