Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough

Shoulder Surgury - Advice?

I am going in for Arthroscopic shoulder surgury in a week.
    My Doctor told me I would be at least three weeks in a sling, but that's all I know for sure. I am hoping I am not "down and out" for too long, as I am just really starting to get back into shape over the last couple weeks. I figure I can still go jogging and do some core stuff (Crunches, etc) but for the most part I will not be training at all.

If anyone else has gone through this, please feel free to share your experience with me.

Also, how long does the physio and rehabilitation take after teh sling comes off?

Array

School
    10WO
    It all depends on what he is going to be doing with the shoulder. I had to have a bankart repair August 2010. Basically the cartilage in the front of my left shoulder had been jacked up from one too many dislocations (snowboarding and judo). My level of repair needed was right below rotator cuff surgery, so afterwards I was in a sling for 6-8 weeks, can't remember exactly.

However, with sticking to the physical therapy regimen I was prescribed and NOT rushing things, I am now back to near 100% flexibility and strength. I wasn't able to train much anything at all, but with recoveries like this you have to take your time, which will be much more time than you feel is necessary. But trust me, take your time recovering and you will have a much better shot at getting back and staying on the mats.

And actually, all the time I had to take off the judo mats made me start analyzing my weaknesses, mainly my ground game. I went to Barnes and Noble looking for any book I could find to help with my ground game, found Mastering the Rubber Guard, was blown away by just the half guard and dog fight stuff I saw, and knew that I wanted be a part of 10th Planet JJ before I could even get up to the cash register.