Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    Much wisdom everyone as far as the blue belt i do train with him regularly but its to the point were i teach him things and can submit him about 50% of the time. He was ranked mostly off of his wrestling credentials not the his jj. I have slowed down in the past 2 weeks now that gas is high going there and back is about a $10 trip in gas a day so it adds up fast through out the week. I dont feel i'm being negative just asking a real question. Its not about the belt so much but someday i do wanna train other people. Its gonna be hard to do so with out a belt ranking. I just wanted to know if anyone else is in a situation like me and how they handle it. And Coach Zog i agree with about making a way to find stuff happen If i could have a job lined up i would either move to Cali or to Rochester I am that serious bout all of this. I dont ever plan on stopping i will never do that just wanted to vent about being frustrated I think about it like i been training for 3 years almost and that if i would of been at a legit gym i could of been so much further than i am now but i still deff am happy were i'm at now just hungry and want more

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cabral View Post
    ^WORD!!^
    A year or so ago I was feeling the same way as you David. I was making excuses for myself and just felt down about my progression, until I realized a few things.
    First: In reality the belt color doesnt mean shit. As long as you can put your ego aside and don't need the recognition to advance then you'll be fine. Just because you don't have a higher belt rank it doesn't stop you from learning all you can and applying it the same as any blue or purple belt would.
    Second: Distance can definately be a pain in the ass sometimes, but it could be alot worse. Personally, I don't have a 10th planet moon closer than 10.5 hours from me. But as Zog said, you scrape and save for as long as it takes to make it happen. As long as you want it bad enough it will all be worth it. With a moon being only 2 hours away just try aiming for a trip once a month or something like that. In the meantime, since you have a 10th planet blue belt at your disposal every and all day, Id be taking full advantage of that. Im sure theres others like me were they are the only nibiru warriors around, so to have someone always around like that is huge.
    Pretty much the main point is that most of the time you are your own worst enemy. It took me a bit to figure that out but once I did it was easier to let myself progress regardless of what color fabric is hanging on my wall.
    You got it brotha!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHamp View Post
    Much wisdom everyone as far as the blue belt i do train with him regularly but its to the point were i teach him things and can submit him about 50% of the time. He was ranked mostly off of his wrestling credentials not the his jj. I have slowed down in the past 2 weeks now that gas is high going there and back is about a $10 trip in gas a day so it adds up fast through out the week. I dont feel i'm being negative just asking a real question. Its not about the belt so much but someday i do wanna train other people. Its gonna be hard to do so with out a belt ranking. I just wanted to know if anyone else is in a situation like me and how they handle it. And Coach Zog i agree with about making a way to find stuff happen If i could have a job lined up i would either move to Cali or to Rochester I am that serious bout all of this. I dont ever plan on stopping i will never do that just wanted to vent about being frustrated I think about it like i been training for 3 years almost and that if i would of been at a legit gym i could of been so much further than i am now but i still deff am happy were i'm at now just hungry and want more
    I understand that your frustration, however venting is not a step in problem solving. Unless you plan on making changes, the problem continues to exsist. Change your mindset and start seeking solutions. Set Goals, and start working towards them. Don't sit on it, start today.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Always welcome in California, I am always down to train with anyone who is willing if you ever find yourself out here in the Bay Area in Denny's neighborhood just send me a message on here and we'll get you into a school. Keep your head up man. Stay dedicated and I know you'll get your blue belt who knows maybe even your purple belt. Just take the necessary steps to reach your goals in your own constructive way, and everything else will come as it needs too.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Flew solo for years and years, repping moves after class at the Kung fu school here in town. Got some of the others there interested and when my teacher turned the school over to me we designed a day for nothing but grappling. Worked out butts off rolling on bare floor (no mats) and when 10th Planet Indy popped up we bought seminars to tighten things up. Other than that we'd each pick a move a week to drill and try to hit a jits school whenever we traveled for work, and we try to make the drive to Indy (2+ hrs one way) as much as we can. This year at least two of us have gone to two seminars from Eddie and one from Herzog. After almost a decade of working and drilling I got my blue a few weeks ago. Belts aren't that important; I've been tapping blues for years now. For me getting blue was important only because I hope to open a hotbox here one day and havin that little notch of rank will make it easier to promote. Other than that I've been thrilled to death just to be able to actually be training at REAL jiujitsu schools and learning from legit jiujitsu teachers.

Array

School
    Not affiliated with no school
    David,

I feel your pain about your post. I have felt the same way about the rank..If your a white belt people think you dont know nothing...Even if you are tapping fools out..they still dont want to give you the credit that you deserve.
    I am also a Michigan boy and am only like 45 min from you...I live in Midland Michigan, and am working on a trip to 10th planet D-town soon..Just working out the kinks... time, gas, money and so on, But if you would like to chip in on the gas and be a fellow 10th planet brother we may be able to work something out...
    Let me know what ya think. I'm also lack of rolling partners..so maybe sometime we could get to gather to show each other some new looks.
    Our fellow brothers are correct thou. Dont let frustration tap you and get in the way of your dreams and desires.

~Larry Ervans~

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I just wanted to know if anyone else is in a situation like me and how they handle it.
    I am in a similar situation, or worse. You live in the city compared to me!! I know where I'm at in my JJ, travel/ compete enough to confirm my thoughts on where I'm at and use that to identify growth areas. You shouldn't need to be better or worse than sombody to learn/grow with them. I once had a boss tell me "you should always perform your job like your trying to get your boss promoted"
    I would wager that blue belt wants to get to purple someday, do everything in your power to help him, and you will surely benefit from it, even if it is not how you "think" you should benefit.

Array

School
    Larry E do you train at any of the schools over that way New body in Bay City has some beast that are awesome if you ever wanna get together i'm down to train when gas isnt an issue i train in Clare with Spyder subs Brett Sbardella is a blue belt Eddie video promoted him a couple months back. @ greg yea i deff try to help him in no way do i do this for ego or anything i love sharing the knowledge i just want more knowledge to spread. Also Coach Zog you always have something awesome to post i'm actaully gonna drill that anaconda choke that you posted earlier like that way more than the gator roll I'm always looking for new ways to improve and grow and hopefully find a way to a legit school to learn from the masters.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    [QUOTE=DavidHamp;132223] @ greg yea i deff try to help him in no way do i do this for ego or anything i love sharing the knowledge i just want more knowledge to spread. QUOTE]

Then what is the problem, you have a perfect set up. By helping him, by default, you will have more knowledge to spread. Win, win.

Array

School
    ^^^truth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12