Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07

Street Jiu Jitsu vs Sport Jiu Jitsu

With Ryron & Rener. They make great points... Rener is always hilarious.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona/ Academy of Kings Top Team
    This is a great video ever one should watch breaks it down going back to the core of it all defending yourself in the street against a lager opponent

Array

School
    Paradigm Training Center
    Wow, is it just me, or were they really seem like condescending assholes throughout the entire video?

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    They should have put this video out 5 or 6 or maybe even 10 years ago. It would have greatly reduced the hate towards these guys. Before they put their entire "Gracie Combatitves" curriculumn online, it wasn't clear what the difference was between their Jiu Jitsu and anyone elses. There didn't seem to be any real reason for Rorion to claim the right to teach "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" while other Gracies are legally forced to use names like "Renzo Gracie Jiu Jitsu" or "Clark Gracie Jiu Jitsu". Now that the Gracie Academy in Torrance has their cirriculumn online its easy to see that their position is, "we are the only people teaching the original self defense based jiu jitsu while other people, Gracies included, are teaching sport jiu jitsu. The term Gracie Jiu Jitsu used to mean self defense jiu jitsu, but if we (the Torrance Academy) doesn't control the name, then Gracie Jiu Jitsu will mean sport jiu jitsu."

The brothers have a point in this video. I just think they should have made it a long time ago. It would have made them seem less arrogant/greedy in trademarking the name "Gracie Jiu Jitsu".

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    The brothers have a point in this video. I just think they should have made it a long time ago. It would have made them seem less arrogant/greedy in trademarking the name "Gracie Jiu Jitsu".
    I concur.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    This video that was posted on Bloody Elbow today gives a good illustration of what we're talking about here. It's Rorion (who trademarked "Gracie Jiu Jitsu") giving a seminar in 1988 that represents Jiu Jitsu as a self defense art. The jiu jitsu that he is teaching at the Gracie Academy today (Rener and Ryron's academy) is the same jiu jitsu that was shown in this 1988 video.

Rorion introduces the people present (a truly amazing line-up, btw) and the list includes Renzo Gracie. I think Renzo would be the first to admit that the jiu jitsu he teaches today is very different from what is presented in this seminar. And I think that is why Rorion felt justified in being the only one who could call his jiu jitsu "Gracie Jiu Jitsu". He's the only one who still teaches BJJ as a self defense art and not a sport.

On another note, I picture the guys in the audience watching the first part of the seminar with the cliche'd standing self defense techniques and thinking, "These guys came all the way from Brazil to show us this?!?!!?" Imagine by the time the seminar was over their minds were blown...

Array

School
    blank
    you're right, very good points

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu
    Both great videos. I too at times wonder exactly how effective my BJJ would be on the street, clearly I wouldn't resort to using spider guard or something crazy like that, but I think everyone would agree that even sport BJJ is better than no BJJ on the street.