Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    A solid Greco guy trumps Judo in MMA in terms of takedowns usually and this is coming from a Judo advocate (and form practioner). There are still a lot of inside/outside trips that more people are utilizing and when clinching against the cage lots of guys leave their hips open to the big throws. Karo used to nail most his tosses off the fence and even GSP has good Judo when applied to MMA. Two guys I want to see use more Judo more despite having entertaining fighting styles is Yoshihiro Akiyama and Rick Hawn.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Helton View Post
    I'm pretty sure Kaufman did that.
    She only trained one side

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I think both wrestling and Judo are 100% about how many reps you put it. Just think of how many reps Honda Housey has put into throwing people to the ground. That is what make it work, not so much the fact that it is Judo. If you have that much time and dedication focused on wrestling you probably could get most non-wrestlers to the ground pretty quick. I you have 8 years wrestling under your belt you are probably not going to give it up and start Judo. I suck at both, so please just "GET IN MY GUARD!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I doubt judo will ever been seen as a staple of what needs to be learned to do MMA. There are aspects of it that are being used, foot sweeps and inside trips, but how many people are going for hip throws successfully? A couple yes. Usually from the Olympic level judoka. Now how many singles, doubles, body clinch, high crotch..whatever wrestling term you want to throw out there, do you see even from guys that have no wrestling pedigree? A whole lot more.
    Plus judo has those silly pajamas. How are you suppose to throw someone without handles...
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Honestly, I think she does so well with the Judo because there is no female wrestler with a comparative skill level in wrestling. Generally speaking, wrestling as a whole is weaker in women's MMA (no Olympic level female wrestlers). That's not to say that a world class wrestler would easily stuff or takedown Ronda but Ronda's Judo abilities are all the more easier in this current women's MMA environment.

As for Judo in men's MMA, all of Dave Camarillo's guys out of AKA are a solid testament to how important Judo can be to a fighter's repertoire but Judo will always be be contested against the high level of world class wrestling in men's MMA.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    We will have to wait for Eddie to develop a new style of No-Gi Judo.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Honestly, I think she does so well with the Judo because there is no female wrestler with a comparative skill level in wrestling. Generally speaking, wrestling as a whole is weaker in women's MMA (no Olympic level female wrestlers). That's not to say that a world class wrestler would easily stuff or takedown Ronda but Ronda's Judo abilities are all the more easier in this current women's MMA environment.

As for Judo in men's MMA, all of Dave Camarillo's guys out of AKA are a solid testament to how important Judo can be to a fighter's repertoire but Judo will always be be contested against the high level of world class wrestling in men's MMA.
    But dont all the AKA guys resort to their wrestling base? I have never seen Fitch go for anything that you could say "yup thats judo from training with Camarillo"

Tate was probably the closest as far as wrestling but nowhere near Olympic level
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    We will have to wait for Eddie to develop a new style of No-Gi Judo.
    Zog more likely than Eddie
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Zog more likely than Eddie
    True dat!

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    But dont all the AKA guys resort to their wrestling base? I have never seen Fitch go for anything that you could say "yup thats judo from training with Camarillo"

Tate was probably the closest as far as wrestling but nowhere near Olympic level
    I'm sure they pick and choose their moves but I always see Fitch and Koscheck go for the foot trips when they dirty box against the cage. The foot trip might setup up for the double, but they are constantly attacking with different tools.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast