Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorrrrrrrrr View Post
    I think wrestling can trump judo. It's why you don't see much of any successful judo players in the UFC. You can shoot a double leg from distance whereas in judo you must be in the clinch to get it. To be honest I don't think women's MMA has much competition in terms of competitors and a judo Olympic medalist is taking advantage of that.
    Name one judo olympic medalist in mens mma. I'm not saying there are any, but I can't think of one. The closest I can think of is karo parisyan. His judo backround worked great in the UFC, and he never even made it past the olympic trials in athens.

But I also hold the belief that when you have two effective and similar MA's such as wrestling and judo, it's the fighter that makes the martial art not the other way around. I'm sure if an olympic judo medalist were to compete in the UFC he'd wreck shop.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah Mendoza
    I'm sure if an olympic judo medalist were to compete in the UFC he'd wreck shop.
    Akiyama won the gold at the Asian championships for Korea a couple of times, right? He didn't compete in the Olympics as far as I know but that's some pretty high level Judo.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    RMNU
    I thought sokoudjou had big potential. Has he even fought since Babalu put that Darce on him?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Honestly, I think she does so well with the Judo because there is no female wrestler with a comparative skill level in wrestling. Generally speaking, wrestling as a whole is weaker in women's MMA (no Olympic level female wrestlers). That's not to say that a world class wrestler would easily stuff or takedown Ronda but Ronda's Judo abilities are all the more easier in this current women's MMA environment.
    Sara McMann thinks you are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah Mendoza View Post
    Name one judo olympic medalist in mens mma. I'm not saying there are any, but I can't think of one. The closest I can think of is karo parisyan. His judo backround worked great in the UFC, and he never even made it past the olympic trials in athens.

But I also hold the belief that when you have two effective and similar MA's such as wrestling and judo, it's the fighter that makes the martial art not the other way around. I'm sure if an olympic judo medalist were to compete in the UFC he'd wreck shop.
    There are many more on top of these.

Hidehiko Yoshida gold 92, 5th 96

Satoshi Ishii gold 08

Makoto Takimoto gold 00'

Jung Bu-Kyung silver 00' (notable for going 0-4)

Naoya Ogawa silver 92'

Hiroshi Izumi silver 04'

Paweł Nastula gold 96

Kim Min-Soo silver 96

Array

School
    Salem
    Who was that kid who was owning Nam Pham in the clinch and against the fence. Hell all around with the sweeps to. Must have gotten like 9 or ten footsweeps/hip tosses. Really sold me on Judo. Getting the explosiveness of a good power double back and learning those would be sweet. I think I recall having a good hip toss but never really perfected it after I learned the power of a good high crotch/run the pipe.

Array

School
    Salem
    But now with submissions in the ball game I really gotta re-look my takedowns in terms of getting into position for a submission.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Stevens View Post
    Who was that kid who was owning Nam Pham in the clinch and against the fence. Hell all around with the sweeps to. Must have gotten like 9 or ten footsweeps/hip tosses. Really sold me on Judo. Getting the explosiveness of a good power double back and learning those would be sweet. I think I recall having a good hip toss but never really perfected it after I learned the power of a good high crotch/run the pipe.
    Jimmy Hettes guys has fucking sick Judo.

Array

School
    Wonnacott Jiu Jitsu, Cardiff
    The thing is judo comes from jiu jitsu it was prof Jigoro Kano who created the art of judo who was a jiu jitsu master what he did was tame it down.So all they have to do is add the aggressive bits which suits ufc down to the ground

Array

School
    Salem
    Yeah, Jimmy Hettes! That is the dude! Hope to see more of that guy! Always get him confused with Anthony Pettis for some reason. Must be the last name. But yeah Judo can be better in some cases then wrestling I think. A lot of the takedowns require a smidge less power and end you up in a favorable position on the ground. Not saying wrestling isn't technique. Just takes getting the body to that level were that is all there is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast