Array

School
    10WO

Tournament prep work while sick

There is a small local tournament coming up at the first of September and everything was going according to plan, looking like I'd be able to make weight with no difficult cuts, feeling real good about my takedowns and sweeps. Then my daughter catches an upper respiratory virus over the weekend and now it looks like I have it too. Fever, congestion, aches all over. She was out with it for about 5 days and I think I'm at day 3.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do to still prepare but also give my body the rest it needs to fight this off. Right now I'm at 175 lbs and I'd need to cut to 165 to make weight. Weigh ins are next Friday and I have the entire day of to cut any remaining weight, and the weigh in site is like 10 mins away from my house.

Any advice 10P?

Array

School
    Trident MMA
    Well it sounds like your more concerned about the weight cut so I will touch on that. You are only 10lbs. over so that's very doable. I'm not a professional, however I have cut weight numerous times for tournaments. I walk around in the mid 170's and cut to 159lbs.

There's several ways to achieve a 10lb. weight cut in 10 days. I'm going to assume you are a novice and this is your first or second time cutting weight.

Start by eating 5 small meals per day. They should consist mostly of protien (I.E. lean meat, protien shakes). It's a must you eliminate the starchy carbs (rice, potatoes, bread, pasta). You also need to eliminate sugar from your diet as well. Sports drinks and soda have a ton of sugar! You also need to limit your sodium intake (salt) because it makes you retain water.

If you follow that guideline I would predict you to be in the 169-170lb range by Friday.

From there it's a super easy 4-5lb weight cut.

For the final cut you should start 3-4 hours prior to the weigh in. I'm super old school and throw on layers of clothing and jog on the treadmill to cut the remaining water weight.

There are other methods that are a bit easier. You could hit the sauna, layer up and crank the heat in your car, or even chill in a hot bath. It's up to you.

Just make sure after the weigh in's you rehydrate with pedialite or water and eat like a monster! I go carb crazy and eat lots of pasta along with lean meat. I make the 159lb threshold and show up to the tournament around 167-169lbs.

This is what works for me. There might be better advice to be had here (as I'm not a professional), but I didn't see a response so I wanted to lend you my advice.

Best of luck at the tournament!