Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NoGi guy needs Gi advice from other nogi grapplers

So after 10+ years of not competing I am back on the mat. Training is going well- technique, conditioning, weight are all coming along. Here is my problem- when I went to register for the nearest tournament (3 hours of driving away, the next closest are easily double that distance) they had Gi divisions only. I have never trained in a Gi. I have never trained with anybody that has any real proficiency in a Gi. In my somewhat remote location and I don't have access to parteners with Gi expertise. Despite those factors I registered to compete and ordered a Gi that same night. I've been working too hard to not compete just because of a jacket and a pair of pants. And I don't want to wait until spring when they run a nogi tournament.

I come from a college wrestling background. However, my submission game (at least my nogi game) exceeds my wrestling ablity. I need some advice or maybe a crash course forum style about the red light dos and don'ts for a nogi grappler going into his first Gi competition (like "whatever you do don't grab here" "try and maintain this position" "look for this set up" "this works Gi or nogi" "this might work in nogi but you are going to have a hard time with it in a Gi").

What do you got for me?

Array

School
    blank
    two of the biggest things i would mention:

(1) really work on your posture from inside the closed guard, its much, much easier for opponents to break your posture and work attacks when they can grab your collar. preventative measures are best so you can avoid being put in the closed guard in the first place but you need to ensure you can handle such a scenario if it happens. it can be a real nightmare of a match if you're struggling to keep good posture while you opponent is attacking or just holding you in their guard

(2) along the same lines you have to be careful about your opponent grabbing your collar. it might be tempting sometimes to work a pass and ignore a lapel grip thinking its weak but that can get you in trouble. always be wary of collar grips. if you don't know what they're doing with a hold of your collar, solidify your position and work to break the grip.

in general, the gi game requires a lot more patience if you ask me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    The couple times I put the gi on in the past after getting seriously into no gi, I got collar choked like a mother. I was usually about to stage off the obvious ones but some of those gi chokes are sneaky (like the ezekiel). I know MDJ has competed in the gi with very little gi training he might have some decent advice for you.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Just do what you normally do and don't get caught up trying to wrap a belt around the guys neck for a choke. That's the main thing I try to remember.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    The couple times I put the gi on in the past after getting seriously into no gi, I got collar choked like a mother. I was usually about to stage off the obvious ones but some of those gi chokes are sneaky (like the ezekiel). I know MDJ has competed in the gi with very little gi training he might have some decent advice for you.
    True.

I'm always making space against their first grip while hand fighting to counter their second finishing grip, all while bumping and playing footsies to get back to half guard. I feel like I'm patting my head and rubbing my belly at the same time.

Array

School
    Charles Gracie
    I would youtube passing from gi only guards like spider and collar defense. If you atleast have good defense on gi only techs you should be ok. Most the time its just a grip fight. Start doing some gi pull up now to built your hand and finger strength.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    If you have no rank you should change your status to white belt.

Youtube, since you don't have any training partners. Goodluck

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Protect the neck.
    He grabs lapel with one hand, you grab his lapel with your hand, or pull his hand off your lapel with both hands.
    Don't let him grab your sleeves, or your pant sleeves. Yank his hand off.
    Good posture!

Who gave you your black belt?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    Who gave you your black belt?
    Yeah, and what are you a black belt in?
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast