Array

School
    Fighting Dragons Combat Sports & Behring Jiu Jitsu

I Hope My Jiu Jitsu Game Has Survived.

For the last 12 months I have been on an insane pace. Thats one of the reasons I don't post nearly as much as I used to.

I have been working so hard on my Muay Thai and MMA, I have been honored by Stone Horse (Jon Jones's original Muay Thai instructor) to be invited into his small circle of studants that he sets time aside to work one on one with. I also have been spending some time working with my first golden gloves boxing coach. He had a 17 year old kid he wanted me to spar with to get him ready for regional golden glove finals. Been putting in some hard rounds with him and was surprised at how fast I fell right back into boxing. I guess the work paid off because he won his fight 2 weekends ago with a KO 36 seconds into the first round.

Now I have all of football season ahead of me, All our games are on Saturday's so no chance to hit any Jiu Jitsu tournaments while thats going on. Also wrestleing and Lacrosse comming up one after the other. I have had no time For Jiu Jitsu tournys. Only have competed a few times this year, and that was early in the year. Of course I still train and work with the advanced adult class. So I roll alot. I feel alright when I roll. All the guys tell me I get stronger and tighter all the time.

I guess my point is should I be worried I will fall behind not competeing. Does the time off from tournament circute help or hurt? Just doesn't feel right and has me worried I won't be at the same level when I return. Remember up until 2012 I was a tournament whore!!!! I wanted to fight anyone, anywhere I could. 2010 and 2011 I fought over 250 matchs. I think I may have 10 or so for 2012.Lol.

What do you guys think? Should I be worried I will suck the place up when I return to heavy Jiu Jitsu comp?
    Always train with purpose and fight with passion . Don't be afraid to dream big, but have the balls to make your dreams come true.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    as long as your putting in atleast two days a week rolling i think you'll be fine. if you start getting tired from everything else going on and slack on going to jui jitsu you might fall behind a little.

Array

School
    Salem
    Conner, you are an inspiration, dude. Haha jesus.. 250 matches? But to answer your question. Yes, you will likely be a tad off. But you also will be able to go back into it with fresh eyes. You pull it off right and you'll likely have a growth in skill. Don't forget you still have wrestling season. You'll be cutting weight, doing shit in that. Work your clinch game and takedowns to an insane level. Drill, drill, drill. Always keep in mind that you have a submission here, submission there, ect.

You still have a lot you can improve even taking Jiu Jitsu to the sidelines for the time being.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Dude you have 15-20 years worth of comps at least maybe more. Dont stress. Do your thing and get back on the horse when you can.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The most important thing in your young life right now is having fun. Football and Lacrosse will translate beautifully to Jiu Jitsu so don't stress one bit, just have fun. If you ain't having fun you can't have success. That's the secret to ultimate glory :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Thanks everyone for the input. Thank You Eddie. I think I am following your advice. The problem is I love it all. Lol. I feel like I don't have enough time in the day to do everything I want. ( I just walked in from doing an all day golf tournament. Lol. Love that to.)

I guess what I worry about, do I need to put some of the things aside I love to reach my goal of being a champion in MMA and Jiu Jitsu. But you guys make me feel better. It kinda match's up to what my training partners, dad and coachs tell me. Pretty much they said I'm way ahead of the game for my age. They tell me I perorm better relaxed and having fun.......... I'm having lots of fun. Lol.

My long term plan/dream is to be well enough known to be able to make my pro debut in Japan on a card when I'm 19 or 20. Everyone tells me I have the best chance of doing that sticking with how I train now. Maybe thats my problem. I feel like to reach my goals I should be suffering more.......... I'm having way to much fun right now. I have never looked forward to training and fighting more then I do now. But maybe thats the secret, putting less presure on doing it makes me want it more.
    Always train with purpose and fight with passion . Don't be afraid to dream big, but have the balls to make your dreams come true.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu
    As long as you're having fun (with anything) that's what matters. However, I will throw in my two cents and say that if your ultimate goal is a career in MMA/BJJ then you might want to dial back the other activities a bit. You're still very young and have the propensity to train at a ridiculous pace like that, but as you get older you won't be able to maintain all of those things at once. Football and Lacrosse are both physically taxing sports and can cause serious injury, which is not to say you should completely stop but to add full seasons of both sports on top of your MMA training sounds like way too much.

I suppose it's good that you're doing everything at once while you still can, and as the years go by you might slowly but surely dial back the other activities in favor of focusing more on MMA.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    If youre spreading yourself so thin it will be hard to become truly great at any specific thing. I agree with Eddie though if youre having fun keep at it. Once you get older, the chances of playing lacrosse and sports like that are slim unless youre doing it at a professional level. So you might as well do it now while youre still able. Jiu jitsu will always be there!
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Nick and Brent your thoughts are the exact reason for my post. I love the fast pace of my life. But anytime you hear anyone great in any sport talking about how they made it to the top, they speak of how much they gave up....how much they suffered to get there. I don't feel that way at all.

But I know I was 100 % focused in 2010 and 2011 and was NOT loving life.Lol. Don't get me wrong I'm very proud of 250+ matchs, but it became more about the wins then the journey. I don't want to lose what 2012 has brought me. I love to train as much if not a little more then compete now. It didn't use to be that way.

I guess what I have decided is to stay on my same path. Do as much as I can and be the best I can be at it all. As time goes on and I find I need to refocus I will. I will compete when I can and depending how I feel when I do, that will be the key on how to adjust and manage my time.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner MACHINE Gibbons View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. Thank You Eddie. I think I am following your advice. The problem is I love it all. Lol. I feel like I don't have enough time in the day to do everything I want.
    Shit bro, just wait till you have to work 40 hours a week and be a parent on top of it all! lol