Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Just because you catch someone once doesn't make you better, even twice, even 3 times. A lot of factors come into play when you're doing Jiu Jitsu especially in the gym. In the gym, is the belt you've submitted the same exact weight class you'd be in? Did he have a long day at work? Did you have a long day at work? Where's his head at? In competition away from the gym, I'd invite you to play up a skill division, to see if you can tap a blackbelt in the expert/advanced division. If you consistently DESTROY blackbelts at competition, then my hats off to you, but more likely than not, everyone here has an instructor thats putting themselves in a dogshit position to try and battle out. So before we start putting Black Belts, Brown Belts, Purple Belts, on blast lets really take a deep breath and check all of our ego's at the door.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I've submitted a few black belts in my dreams , does that count?

I'm still a white belt but I've subbed 3 or 4 blues and had like 2 sub attempts on a purple.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    Just because you catch someone once doesn't make you better, even twice, even 3 times. A lot of factors come into play when you're doing Jiu Jitsu especially in the gym. In the gym, is the belt you've submitted the same exact weight class you'd be in? Did he have a long day at work? Did you have a long day at work? Where's his head at? In competition away from the gym, I'd invite you to play up a skill division, to see if you can tap a blackbelt in the expert/advanced division. If you consistently DESTROY blackbelts at competition, then my hats off to you, but more likely than not, everyone here has an instructor thats putting themselves in a dogshit position to try and battle out. So before we start putting Black Belts, Brown Belts, Purple Belts, on blast lets really take a deep breath and check all of our ego's at the door.
    well said!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I completely agree. A lot of times if I catch a higher belt I ask if it was legit or not. I feel like in getting close to blue but as I'm headin that way and tap some better guys out here an there I want it to be legit. If he was attempting something new or playing around and I catch him , I don't count that.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    one thing people don't consider is most high level ranks will play around with lower ranks to feal how they move and if there grasping the concepts, but aggressive dudes will take advantage of this generocity forcing higher ranks to take a kill all approach or be nice on a case by case basis. because no one wants to feal like there being taken advantage of.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Keepitplayful.com
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

For me? There i was at 2003 ADCC, standing across from me a legend. Undefeated, a man that many feared. They said i had no hope of winning. Then it happened TRIANGLE! I had become the first person to defeat Royler Gracie in competition. The joy was overwhelming. I still think about it to this day and smile a bit.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by derrick ikwueme View Post
    this is why so many instructors find it a must to crush and dismantle there students, because dudes might get on facebook or forums and talk shit, not realizing there instructor let them get the tap or went at half speed.
    Hahaha, there is a lot of truth to this. I know for a fact that any time I have tapped out one of our brown or purple belts, it was because they gave it to me.

Regarding the ego part, of course the instructor doesn't have to "crush and dismantle" any students right off the bat. BJJ has a way of weeding out the assholes, so only once in a while do you see a guy thinking he's "hot to trot". Then typically the higher ranking belts will catch on and proceed to tap him 30 times in 30 seconds kinda thing.

That's always a lol-fest because by then everyone in the class has figured out that the guy is an asshole and he's getting his ego checked.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Herrera View Post
    Keepitplayful.com
    Dude. That was a fantastic article. Thanks.

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Dude. That was a fantastic article. Thanks.
    I know right! I love it, spread the word
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast