Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    I've been able to get a few of my friends to give jiu jitsu a shot but only one of them has actually stuck with it for any real amount of time. I agree w/ Woolsey, my life has become so jiu jitsu-centric that most of my circle of friends are now people I train with.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    The big guys think it's for small guys, the small guys think it's for big guys, the medium sized guys think it's either for bigger or smaller guys.

It's for everybody. Especially chicks. But they feel weird because the student base is predominantly male. I posted a pic like this on facebook to put that point out there:

But it was a NoGi group, and the guys were in older (Teens/twenties) and in good shape, and not looking very happy for being in 2nd and 3rd. lol.

Stew tried for 15 years to convince me to try BJJ and I vehemently avoided it. Now that I am addicted, I woefully regret not starting up 15 years ago. I have a lot of catching up to do.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    It's one of those things you can't really convince people of. All you can do is just be an example and keep being passionate. I have one friend who's almost there after seeing my weight loss and muscle build doing just BJJ and no other exercise. The rest of my friends show curiosity and ask me to show them submissions here and there.

But it's just one of those things that requires them to actually want it. I mean, I've loved JJ since I was a kid, and I"m just NOW starting to do it (at 29). Shows you how powerful excuses can be.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Shows you how powerful excuses can be.

AMEN, Brother!

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I was going to say show them a MG absolute video, but somebody beat me to it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Show them the intro to the mastering the rubber guard DVD, this sells most people I know on the concept ;D

Array

School
    10th Planet West LA
    I got the first step down, but can't seem to follow through. In the first week when I got started, I was able to get three of my buddies totally pumped for BJJ and got them to attend their first class. One of them acted like he was really into it and was already talking about going to a second class, but he's really cheap and was turned off by the costs (monthly fee, knee pads, cup, mouthguard, rash guards, etc.). One guy said he liked the class, but he already takes muay thai and already has all the gear, but wants to stick with muay thai. One of them is still in college, but went out of his way to buy all new gear for his first BJJ class. Said he liked it, but due to time commitments for school and money issues, will be starting once he graduates in spring of 2013 and finds a job first. Not 100% sure if this will happen, but if he ever decides to do it, at least he has all the gear.

To make matters worse, two of the guys above went to the Burbank location while Eddie Bravo was teaching this summer (even had an all-levels class so beginners could learn from him). They don't even know what a great opportunity they had.

One of my favorite things to do to get my non JJ friends into JJ is a very simple but fun trick.

SO there is a BBQ/Picnic/Gathering of friends..

simply say "hey who wants to make $20!?" (don't go too high because they will not think you will actually pay)

They all say "How?"

I lay on my back and point my feet towards them (Basically open guard) and I say "I will give you $20 if you can get past my feet"

So basically I am tricking them into doing JJ by trying to pass my guard. What proceeds to happen is really fun and funny. I will start adding sweeps and talking shit. The next thing I know all my non JJ buddies are trying all sorts of silly shit and everyone is laughing and having fun but of course no one passes my guard (duh!)...

Of course this then leads into showing them more stuff and suddenly they are all practicing kimoras and arm triangles on each other.

I have done this on at least 5 occasions.

On a side not it is also fun to do in bed with your GF.. "If you can get past my feet I will give you an hour long massage. If you can't do it in 5 minutes then I get an hour massage" Unfortunately it only works once.

Array

School
    Neil Simkin BJJ
    If anyone finds a way to get their wives/girlfriends interested, please let me know.

Array

School
    Haha, right on, Cade! Of course, you must have an unpassable guard first!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast