Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    I also became extremely conscious of my everyday posture. Poor posture is a huge contributor to spine problems. I was even able to pin point some poor posture I had while watching TV at night that I had been doing for years. Little shit like that goes a long way!

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    Joe, you should see doctor Oxenrider in Noblesville. He is an amazing Chiro and he has the computerized thing that does the individual discs. I went to him for years. The blood spinning thing Rogan is doing now looks like it has a lot of promise as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    This is the exact thing I just had surgery for in December.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    This is the exact thing I just had surgery for in December.
    Tell us more...what kind of surgery? Did it work? Recovery time?

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    depends on the stage. If its bulging (herniated) flexion or extension wont help. usually u have to wait for it to absorb than when its in the prolapse phase you can start doing extension exercises. It could take a month to get better. The disc is avascualr meaning there is no blood therefore it takes longer to heal compared to straining a hamstring. Don't fuck with herniatons, they are serious and can cause long term damage to your nerves.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    From my textbook it says that chiropractors don't treat the herniated disc itself, they adjust the vertebra's surrounding them. Trust me, take a break, let your hernation absorb itself if its not too late, surgery is usually the final option, it almost sounds like u probably need surgery because it sounds pretty bad but I'm no surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Durham View Post
    I've had this hardcore pain for over a year now in my upper back right next to my right shoulder blade that pulsates when I am sitting upright. My hand and arm go numb by the middle of the day when I'm at work or at the computer at home. I've had this for over a year now and its only gotten worse. Its never really affected my jiu jitsu game until recently when I started noticing my right arm is getting weaker.

I've had trips to the Chiropractor and its never really seemed to help. I finally went to a Sports Medicine Orthopedic and he suggested its being caused by bulging discs in my neck. A week late an MRI confirmed I do have bulging discs at c4,c5 / c6,c7.

The Dr. suggested an epidural of cortisone. I've done a lot of research on the internet...and it seems the epidurals work on some, but most people don't have any relief. There are risks involved with the procedure and side effects that dont look all that pleasant.

Anyone else on here have experience with bulging/herniated discs in their neck or cortisone epidurals?

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    granby's can be a bit dangerous for the neck since its your neck is in flexion and your putting weight on it. I wouldn't suggest doing granby's everyday. I know its good for JJ but its bad for your neck. I would do some extension exercises to help balance it out assuming there is no herniation present for the time being. But of course, don't force it. In one of my text books we are supposed to be able to look up straight, I know I can't but at least it gives you an idea. Maybe I'll put out a video so I'll explain this better. I hear people on the forum saying stuff that will actually make things worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    Ive had the same problem for over 20 years now. Its what prevented me from trying JiuJitsu for so long. Eventually I said "screw it" and ive actually noticed my neck locks up even less now, especially after doing the granby warmup's everyday before class. It still gives me daily pain but I just don't think I could risk getting an operation that could make me worse, which ive heard about from many people

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    agreed, good posture is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Durham View Post
    I also became extremely conscious of my everyday posture. Poor posture is a huge contributor to spine problems. I was even able to pin point some poor posture I had while watching TV at night that I had been doing for years. Little shit like that goes a long way!

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    makes sense, the old saying use it or lose it, you gotta move your neck a bit but if I remember correctly at the beginning (about a month but it could be less) you should try to rest it to wait for the herniation to absorb before doing extension exercises to bring the nucleus back in the middle of the disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    For me, overhead lifting tends to aggravate it the most. Even the tension you hold in your neck from stress can do it. However, I'll usually do something small to hurt it, like reaching for a glass of water.
    Like I said, the more I use my neck (either from granby's, neck harness, band work, rolling) the less it locks up. Back when I didn't work out at all, I would get the pain more frequently, more severe, and it would last much longer. Also, ice seems to make it better and heat makes it worse. Maybe that's just me though

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    If I remember correctly surgery is required when there is muscle atrophy (muscle mass is lose) because of loss of inervation to the muscle, or maybe its a bit before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Yunker View Post
    Joe, I feel for you buddy. I've had a bulging disc in my cervical spine (c5/c6) as well as one in the lower back (L5/s1) for several years. I've had the epidural done three times. The epidural may or may not help short term. It helped the first time for me, after that it just seemed to hurt worse. It was a big issue for a few years. My biggest advise is consistent PT. Exercise is my best medicine, as long as I am diligent and consistent about exercising, I rarely have any issues. I can still grapple and lift etc no problem. I refuse to have surgery until there is no other option. I believe once they cut into your spine you're never the same. The only time I have any issues is when I try to fight off guillotines from my instructor lol. I try to just tap, it's not worth a long term issue. Good luck, get on that PT.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast