Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I like it in the right moment. The only time I try to get there is when my opponent is standing over me. That way I can sweep him with it and take the heel hook undefended. There are other situations that land me there, but I'm not really looking for it usually.

I think if more Jiu Jitsu guys understood (and were allowed) knee reaping style footlocks the 50/50 would be less prevalent. Also, I think the 50/50 in the IBJJF rule set is incredibly boring and pointless because the entire position is rendered nearly useless without the inverted heel hook; it's used almost exclusively to gain advantages. Yes, there are other submissions available from there, but they're few and far between.
    I 1000% agree with this. So closely that I have said stuff just like that myself

I would like to add, though, that I do make myself train it intentionally because many people are playing it, particularly in my weight class. I want to be comfortable playing against any guard that’s common. It’s also nice to know that I have the advantage of training the position with leg locks while much of my competition trains ignoring the “IBJJF illegal” inverted heal hook which can lead to dangerous habits for them.

That said, I’ve never initiated it in completion, only dealt with it when I’m forced there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I'll be the odd one out here and say that I personally love the 50/50 guard. That being said.. this thread has me questioning how well I really understand it..

To me, I always just felt like, if you know how to defend leglocks from there, you might as well test the waters and see if they can defend them as well. If they can, then its probably just going to be a boring stalemate until you get into another position. If they cant.. you win..

But that being said.. I also know that Herzog knows more about leglocks than I can even begin to comprehend, and Brandon, Marcelo, and Eddie are all infinitely more knowledgeable than me. So for them to say they arent fans of the position (outside of prime opportunities to land in a submission/sweep), makes me wonder if perhaps I dont know as much as I thought I did. So I guess this would be the thread to ask.. Is 50/50 a guard you feel isnt great because you fear theres a chance you could get caught just like them? Or because at the higher levels, everyone knows how to defend leglocks.. so its probably just going to end in a boring sit-fest? I suppose its just as likely that I only grapple with blue belts and one or 2 purples occasionally (And not the Brandon kind of purple belts, More like McDojo Purple Belts) so I havent rolled with many people who I feel threatened by when it comes to their leglock skills compared to my ability to defend them. So I dont really know what to expect at the higher levels. So, risky?.. or just boring?..

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    i'd rather have a single leg X over the 50/50. and i'd rather have a knee reap over the single leg X.

i actually don't like the 50/50 but in order for me to convert my game to IBJFF friendly rules, I've had to resort to it. i actually prefer instep hooking their thigh (like Manny Gamburian showed on Mastering the System) than the 50/50 because if things start to fall apart it's pretty easy to stand up and start over.

Array

School
    10th planet Melbourne/ GVJJ
    Really interesting to see what Eddie and Zog think of the 50/50

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    I actually really like the passing options coming out of 50/50. I use the position quite a bit and I don't even go for leglocks, since I'm new at my current school, but just like it for sweeping and passing.

I can see where others are coming from though, that if you can just totally dominate, why give them anything.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    I prefer the "sambo leg knot" to all leg lock controls.

I find that you have good leverage for the finish from "50/50 guard" and it's harder to get out but that you can get subbed. so I don't like it.

From "1 leg x-guard" I don't feel like i have as much control or leverage but I can't be subbed. this is my 2nd favourite choice, I use this for ankle locks before going to leg knot and most of my transitions to 'the knot" come from here.

From "The Saddle" i don't feel like I have any leverage but it's hard to escape.

From the "sambo leg knot" I get lots of leverage it's hard to escape and i can't be subbed. but it can be tricky to get there if you don't know some good transitions.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    There are counter leg locks from the knee knot, they just aren't well know
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    There are counter leg locks from the knee knot, they just aren't well know
    Interesting.... I'm going to have to figure these out.

Array

School
    NO 10TH PLANET WHERE I LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Ryan Hall makes 50/50 look beautiful but I'm with Marcelo on this one, I don't think I will ever focus on giving someone 50%
    thanks bro good point i will keep it in mind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12