Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Moises Montalvo View Post
    I have been around jiu jitsu for almost 10 years now (even though I've never earned a belt, I don't need one but it's a goal of mine) and have trained in the Army (M.A.C.P), several different so called BJJ gyms and have tried the Gracie online system. Hands down, 10th Planet is the most fun, most accepting system. I have only been on this forum for a little bit now and you can really see the "family" aspect. Everyone I have spoken with that trains at a 10th Planet school wouldn't train anywhere else. I guess what I see as the main difference isn't what you wear or what the techniques are called, it's the atmosphere that attracts me. I can be myself around 10th Planet people, I can smoke some bud and have amazing conversations with complete strangers and feel like a part of the family, no one has ever made me feel like shit for not knowing something. THAT is more important to me.
    Well said. I would definitely say my favorite thing about 10th planet is the people in it even more-so than the techniques. Though I havent had enough experience with traditional BJJ schools to have a set idea about the culture that comes with it. Ive probably trained at maybe 5 different ones for any decent length of time. And Id say I found 2 of them very appealing based on the people in it. Very open minded, humble, and all around good people. However I will say that a majority of them Ive been to reminded me much more of a karate mcdojo I was apart of when I was younger. (Not saying thats the case for most BJJ schools, It obviously all depends on the one running it, Im only speaking from the ones Ive had experience with) But I do like that this community seems to go much deeper than only jiujitsu. We discuss all sorts of interesting topics and are open to hear others opinions. So I would agree, theres more important things than tradition. And I think the setup of the 10th planet system does do a great job of getting us there.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The 10th Planet system includes any and every legit no-gi technique that we can find, no matter what style they came from, bjj, sambo, wrestling, catch etc. Many of these techniques are forbidden or not taught in traditional bjj schools like the rubber guard, twister, lockdown half, and even the deep hook transitions to spider web are not taught the way they are taught by 10p instructors.

10p is on a quest to provide it's soldiers with every legit no-gi technique possible, especially MMA jiu jitsu techniques. If we are not teaching a certain legit no-gi technique it's only because we haven't gotten to it yet, it has nothing to do with close mindedness. Most traditional bjj schools are not on the same quest. Some are, but for sure many are not. If a bjj school is not teaching the lockdown half, the rubber guard and twisters then they are not providing their students with all the legit no-gi techniques they can find.

As far as tournaments go, Gracie Nationals and Gracie Worlds are the two most prestigious submission only tournaments in the world. 10p swarmed both of them and we are the current team champions of both of them. 10p also dominates SUB LEAGUE, a submission only event in the Pacific Northwest. Also 10th Planet San Francisco's Adam Sachnoff just won the ADCC trials finals match with rubber guard, now what?
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    Eddie Bravo laying shit down, son! lol

Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha
    I was wondering if "the dude himself" would comment and I'm glad he did and glad I am part of this kick ass organization.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu is like herpes. The longer you ignore it, the stronger it gets and it ain't goin anywhere

Spreadin tha !0th Planet Jiu Jitsu Virus

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    The 10th Planet system includes any and every legit no-gi technique that we can find, no matter what style they came from, bjj, sambo, wrestling, catch etc. Many of these techniques are forbidden or not taught in traditional bjj schools like the rubber guard, twister, lockdown half, and even the deep hook transitions to spider web are not taught the way they are taught by 10p instructors.

10p is on a quest to provide it's soldiers with every legit no-gi technique possible, especially MMA jiu jitsu techniques. If we are not teaching a certain legit no-gi technique it's only because we haven't gotten to it yet, it has nothing to do with close mindedness. Most traditional bjj schools are not on the same quest. Some are, but for sure many are not. If a bjj school is not teaching the lockdown half, the rubber guard and twisters then they are not providing their students with all the legit no-gi techniques they can find.

As far as tournaments go, Gracie Nationals and Gracie Worlds are the two most prestigious submission only tournaments in the world. 10p swarmed both of them and we are the current team champions of both of them. 10p also dominates SUB LEAGUE, a submission only event in the Pacific Northwest. Also 10th Planet San Francisco's Adam Sachnoff just won the ADCC trials finals match with rubber guard, now what?
    BOOM MF'ers!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    BOOM MF'ers!
    +1
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post

Oh snap.. just got real in here :P lol. And thank you for clarifying the specifics that i was looking for. (The details about rubber guard, twister, lockdown half, and deep hook transitions being a few of the things that are taught in this system, but not traditional BJJ) And its awesome to hear the info about the success we're having in the sub only league. That will definitely be a nice bit of statistical data to have on my side in the event that someone brings up tournament results.

But just for the record.. I cant wait until BJJ accepts these new concepts/ideas incorporated into the 10th planet system. (once they are proven effected.. like they are now.. there will eventually be no choice but to adopt them into the BJJ system) To just imagine how amazing its going to be once ALL brazilian jiujitsu practitioners start messing around and perfecting these techniques. Imagine all the greats throughout time (and today) who would probably have so much to add to the system if they only had the understanding of it. To see Rickson dedicate time to perfecting his Twister side control.. and the amount of details people like that would eventually add over time. To have thousands of minds working together to improve the system rather than just a few hundred. One day.. when everyone is back on the same page.. Jiujitsu really is going to be such a dominate style in MMA once again. Its going to be incredible to see.

Array

School
    BlueStarr Grappling, TPJJ Ronin
    When I started my JJ Journey, I started out "In da gi". It's kind of ironic to watch that Dean Lister video and hear our stories are some what similar. I competed in a local tournament "Southwest Classic" one of gustavo dantas' events and didn't like the fact that the guy I fought rubbed icy hot on his forearms before the match (One of my old teammates saw this in the bathroom) and he held on to me for dear life when he took my back. That threw my whole idea of the points system and how i really don't like it. Advantages, and passes and the points you get for attempted subs. Don't get me wrong, it's great for your speed and submitting a guy because you have that pressure fact, but a guy can be up on points look and see he's up by 2 points with 1 minute left and hold you down instead of doing what he's supposed to be doing and submitting you or you him. Which is why my first NoGi tournament was submission ONLY. Haha! I did just that in my bracket.

I got an invite by one of my brethren to come to a 10thpjj Phoenix class and work out with my now instructor John "Yoda" Botello and just fell in love with the NoGi system. It's faster and you have to think ahead. When I went back and told my instructor he got all butt hurt and started giving me the cold shoulder. SO, I said "It's all Good homie" and walked out the door. Alot of those guys preach "No Egos" and be Open minded, but very few are and actually practice what they preach. The 10thpjj system.... I haven't met one dickhead yet and that's because leadership starts from the top and works it's way down and Eddie Bravo has done the best job that I've seen and the places I've been to get some great instructors. And us students follow like sheep to the Open Mat slaughter.. LOL..

It's like Eddie Bravo said "Our system is always evolving". He is constantly adding pieces from the top BJJ guy. I've heard some stories about how guys from other gyms would roll into a 10thpjj school and challenge instructors and students and get smashed! Simply because they don't like the way Eddie built his system and they wanted to see if it was legit. Welllll, Yeah, IT IS. Yes, we have some pretty funny names for every single move, transition and submission but it works bro! Like "the ham sandwich", sounds funny, but get your calf caught and it won't be. LOL..

In comparison to traditional BJJ and "Da Gi". Alot of instructors don't want to create their own moves they'd rather stick to the basics and that's fine, but that's not evolution. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is all about evolution and evolving the art bro. True story, I created a move a spinning move transitioning into side control "in da gi" called the "The Black Tornado". I'm sure it's been done before but everyone has their own move they love doing or add their own mix to make it "Mine". My old instructor told me "not to do it and focus on the basic pass". I'm like man, your suppressing my Mental growth (in my mind), I didn't want to be disrespectful. After all He has his Black Belt right? However, when I came to 10thpjj my instructor (John Botello) is helping me to break it down to see how and if it works in live rolling and what are the disadvantages. See, Stimulating growth and all that's going to do is create more WORLD champions from the 10thpjj system.

I personally plan on competing in all the major tournaments next year including ADCC. It's a personal thing for me because I just like to compete! Plus, as a student I want to show the world the system I train in WORKS and there is ZERO question. It's still young and as in all things young they mature, then grow and when they hit a stride or a growth spurt watch the fuck out!

Alittle bit of a tangent but that's my opinion of our system. Hopefully it gave you alittle more insight.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    We've been talking a lot lately about opportunistic vs. systematic grappling. 10pjj is a system with an answer for for just about anything that happens while rolling. In BJJ you learn a lot of techniques in an isolated fashion, then you eventually develop a game that' s more based on creating opportunities.

My personal feeling is that 10pjj will create a more rounded grappler in a shorter period of time, based on its systematic nature.

I'm not a good rubber guard player, more of a half guard guy when it comes to 10pjj, but I still look to Eddie to be current with what WORKS.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast