Array

School
    10th Planet Portland

Anyone rollin with a Cervical Fusion???

Does anyone have or heard of anyone rolling with a major neck surgery? If so can you tell me if they have been able to avoid more damage and/or problems. I had a bad snowboarding accident a few years back when I landed on my shoulder and neck. Shortly after I had surgery to repair a separated shoulder but didn't notice I also caused some disks to bulge from my spine. While drilling guillotine chokes one day I felt something had happened to my neck so I later found out that I ruptured a disk that day which led into my cervical fusion and implant (neck surgery). My neck feel's strong enough to roll but was trying to gain some confidence by finding out if anyone in my position is able to fully train and compete. The only fighter I can find with this procedure is Tito but he fought once and retired after his surgery. Jiu jitsu has become my passion and the only thing that has helped me get fit and I just can't stop, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Nate Quarry had the same surgery. You could probably tell your training partners not to mess with you neck or stack you and you could get some rolls in still. My pops has his c5-c7 fused from wrestling injuries and is not allowed grapple anymore. His caused him to lose feeling on the right side of his body. He had bone fragments sticking into his spinal cord. Maybe it depends on severity. I have Cervical neck issue as well also from wrestling. Do your homework to shit doesnt get real bad.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    Nate Quarry had the same surgery. You could probably tell your training partners not to mess with you neck or stack you and you could get some rolls in still. My pops has his c5-c7 fused from wrestling injuries and is not allowed grapple anymore. His caused him to lose feeling on the right side of his body. He had bone fragments sticking into his spinal cord. Maybe it depends on severity. I have Cervical neck issue as well also from wrestling. Do your homework to shit doesnt get real bad.
    Will do man I appreciate the info and advice. Mine is fused between C6-C7 so lower neck probably the area that absorbs the pressure from being stacked. I'll proceed with caution but again thanks for your reply.