Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    GSP used the can opener all night. Every time Condit looked for the armbar GSP refused it with awareness, positioning, and timing, usually resulting in an advancement to the half guard or open guard. Beautiful fight, and an excellent example of a "white belt technique" executed at the highest level.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    Gsp made it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Wouldn't be suprised at all to see a Gracie Breakdown of GSP's use of the can opener soon. It was definitely a thing of beauty. He used perfectly to control Carlos, and used it akin to a Thai plum as well with how landed his elbows with it. Though when using it, always be applying the crank and dont just lay your wrists next to their head. If you're not constricting them with it, then they have space to move and you're basically giving them your arm. This is sort of how Belfort got a hold of Jones' arm in their fight.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Could someone post a video clip so I know what we're talking about please?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    GSP used the can opener all night. Every time Condit looked for the armbar GSP refused it with awareness, positioning, and timing, usually resulting in an advancement to the half guard or open guard. Beautiful fight, and an excellent example of a "white belt technique" executed at the highest level.
    This.

Which is why you need to start dealing with these types of tactics at the gym level. Making techniques illegal in the gym such as the can openers, leg locks, twisters, etc. will ulitmately stunt the growth of the sport and the individual students development. However these must be practiced with safe trustworthy training partners and under proper guidance and supervision.

As coaches me must also exploit these weeknesses in teams when preparing our teams for competition.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona/ Academy of Kings Top Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    This.

Which is why you need to start dealing with these types of tactics at the gym level. Making techniques illegal in the gym such as the can openers, leg locks, twisters, etc. will ulitmately stunt the growth of the sport and the individual students development. However these must be practiced with safe trustworthy training partners and under proper guidance and supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post

As coaches me must also exploit these weeknesses in teams when preparing our teams for competition.

YO ALL OF THIS^^^

This has got to be the best martial arts forum online... i come on here, learn about a new technique, then see it debated in the forum, then watch it implemented on the UFC title fight in the same weekend. Shout Out to the OG's for dropping some serious knowledge keeping us laced!! So i guess the can opener is KOSHER

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    GSP likes the Can Opener.
    Hahah, I was thinking the same as I'm watching it. I'm like, wow, what a coincidence. And he made it work!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    This.

Damn. Great post coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Nu'usolia View Post
    YO ALL OF THIS^^^

This has got to be the best martial arts forum online... i come on here, learn about a new technique, then see it debated in the forum, then watch it implemented on the UFC title fight in the same weekend. Shout Out to the OG's for dropping some serious knowledge keeping us laced!! So i guess the can opener is KOSHER
    Haha word. Favorite MA forum for me as well. I still wouldn't call the can opener kosher. It is a douchey move in my opinion. But it's a necessary evil. Not everybody is gonna be a nice guy. So you gotta learn how to deal with it eventually. Plus, whenever things work in the UFC, they suddenly become "en vogue." So don't be surprised to see a lot more guys using this tactic. So we'll all have to learn how to deal with it sometime. Might as well start now.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    the can opener in mma is used differently than grappling. grappling you use it to open the legs and yes its douchey, in mma guys like GSP and John Jones use it to drop vicious elblows.( yes you can use it to open the legs as well). with that being said i think its legit and not a douche move in mma

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gates View Post
    the can opener in mma is used differently than grappling. grappling you use it to open the legs and yes its douchey, in mma guys like GSP and John Jones use it to drop vicious elblows.( yes you can use it to open the legs as well). with that being said i think its legit and not a douche move in mma
    Nah bro. GSP was using it to break guard too. And he was using it effectively. Re watch the fight. He was using it to open guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Yeah he was using it to break guard but he was also using it to land vicious elbows. That's how he cut condit in the 1st or 2nd round, i forgot which round.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast