Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque

1st tournament in da gi

Did my 1st tournament, single elimination, and got owned. I tried pulling guard, and he passed like it was a walk in the park, ended up with my belly down, no idea why, and got choked. I have been training for 3 months and my green(or white) definitely showed that day. Figured I would share. Looking to do a no gi and gi tournament 1 month from now , the southwest grapplefest in las cruces NM. Overall it was a great learning experience, I now have objectives when I train, and motivation to train more often.

How do you guys handle a loss?

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

Nah just messing. Never competed so I can't say. I'll just say not to get down on yourself. You have a lot of balls for competing with only 3 months of training. So props to you for having that kind of enthusiasm. Use this motivation and that same enthusiasm and go back to your school, and get better. Then try again. Good luck next time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Losing is heartbreaking especially when you've been training really hard for a competition. Winning like Chael Sonnen says isn't a feeling of being overcome with joy. It's a feeling of relief. That feeling of relief is unlike anything I've felt in sports. Playing hockey wins were always a joyous thing, and losing was always devastating. The best advice I can give is to continue to train harder and push yourself in and away from the gym. Learn what you did wrong. Study why you did it wrong, and tighten all the things down in your game to prevent anything like that happening again. I promise watching yourself fail will be like pouring salt on an open wound but it's necessary. And most of all during Training HAVE FUN because remember its just a game.

Array

School
    FLMAC/10th planet Ronin
    learn learn learn learn

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Having had ALOT of losses, I now look at each match with regards to if i can see an improvement from my last matches. As everyone says each persons journey is different and who knows how long the other guy has been competeing, how many days he trains a week, how much does he immerse himself in BJJ etc etc.

You can only judge your improvement against you, not against others for all the above factors. Therefore look at that loss, look where you went wrong and if you improve on that next match regardless of if you win or lose the next one, if you have improved it is a win in my book.

And yes I realise all the above advice is spoken like a true loser
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    Thanks for all of your input fellas! This tournament lit a fire in my belly that I didn't have before. I feel motivated to train and keep progressing! Thanks again for the input.

There is no losing in Jiu-Jitsu. You either win or you learn.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    There is no losing in Jiu-Jitsu. You either win or you learn.
    I was just about to say that

Array

School
    CTBJJ: Caio Terra, Samir Chantre, Flavio Meier & Oswaldo Augusto
    Big respect for competing with only 3 months in. My advice, FWIW: Like many things in life, learn from your mistakes, figure out how to apply what you've learned so that you can become better than you are.

GB

Array

School
    allstar bjj
    bite next time it really works

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast