Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monkey Mount

Monkey Mount

After spending 10 minutes mounted on a guy unable to finish him because he was too good at defending I've been looking at Eddie's Monkey Mount in his JJ Unleashed book for a solution.

The techs looks great - but I tried it yesterday and the problem I have is that once you have head and arm control and he instinctively grabs onto your torso, so you need to push off their hip to get the leverage to break the grip of the guy on the bottom and expose his arm. What do you do when he flattens his legs out? When he does this there is no hip there to push off. It worked great when he had his legs bent, feet flat on the mat, but as soon as he felt me push off his hip he flattened the leg and I've got no point to push on...

The dude did have skinny hips though - maybe I should just roll with fat people?

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu

Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    After spending 10 minutes mounted on a guy unable to finish him because he was too good at defending I've been looking at Eddie's Monkey Mount in his JJ Unleashed book for a solution.

The techs looks great - but I tried it yesterday and the problem I have is that once you have head and arm control and he instinctively grabs onto your torso, so you need to push off their hip to get the leverage to break the grip of the guy on the bottom and expose his arm. What do you do when he flattens his legs out? When he does this there is no hip there to push off. It worked great when he had his legs bent, feet flat on the mat, but as soon as he felt me push off his hip he flattened the leg and I've got no point to push on...

The dude did have skinny hips though - maybe I should just roll with fat people?
    Step one: Subscribe to MTS

Step 2: Watch Episodes 2, 17, 20, 33 & 41

Step C: tap dudes with arm triangle all day.

Ok - I might just do that!

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Ya the mount system has evolved since that book.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    The spike

Ok guys, I paid for Pro, watched those episodes mentioned and while there were loads of tips for improving my arm triangle from the mount none of them dealt directly with the issue of how you break the dude's grips if he body locks you. Man, you 10p bitches ripped me off, I feel so conned.....

.....no ha ha!, it was only $5, and there's so much cool teaching to access there it's way worth it.

But seriously - how do you break his body lock? I can do it using monkey mount when he gives me a hip to push off... but if he doesn't?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Get both your elbows on one side while your skydiving so you still have base. Bring near elbow down at 12-6 and start grinding it against his temple, then jaw, and when you get a lil more space straight down on his carotid artery. He'll let go.

If loosens up at all, you can also start to set up a mounted go-go. Get your angle and crossface.

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    anytime they body lock you in the mount they are wide open for mounted go-go platas, monoplatas, straight jackets, special K's ect.

Ok, looked up mounted gogo plata vids - that will be my new go-to, thanks. I'm not a fan of grinding my elbow into people - it's not how a gentleman plays cricket.

So, 10p people, has the monkey mount fallen out of favour? I really like its leverage (as opposed to pain) way of breaking the grip, I'm going to keep trying it to find a way to get it to work...

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Mount = guard from the top

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast