Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Kelso View Post
    So Eddie is stealing from the person who first did the wrestler's guillotine?

Anybody that teaches BJJ outside of a Gracie school is stealing from them?

Everyone that has a house is stealing from the first person to build one?

Bullshit.

Sharing each other's ideas is how we advance as a race. It's part of nature. Martial Arts is no exception. The more people using and spreading 10th Planet, the better it is for all of us. You either want 10P to eventually become accepted as a staple of Jiu Jitsu, or you want to keep it in the lockdown. You can't have it both ways.

"See, I put my leg right here and turn my body this way. It's my move!" -- I've got no respect for greedy, short-sighted people who think this way. I, for one, would be honored to see someone teaching a move I discovered. You can't own body positions or ideas. They belong to every human being capable of using them.

"Intellectual Property" is a myth with no basis in natural law, and the enforcement of it through government law is one of the greatest roadblocks of human achievement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6_ZqPcNemI

Against Intellectual Property:

www.mises.org/journals/jls/15_2/15_2_1.pdf
    We don't like him because he's fat, there I said it!

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    When he is lacing up the grapevine from twister side, you can see his knee bouncing on the mat. That means he's light on that knee. If you bump and scoot your hips under him right into the truck.

And yes if you have an omo and just try to control the near leg, when he rolls you are now in an omo.

Oh ok cool got it thanks Bobby appreciate the response! I haven't faced any twister masters/oma masters yet, but I'll know those recounters now....

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile

Bullshit.

Sharing each other's ideas is how we advance as a race. It's part of nature. Martial Arts is no exception. The more people using and spreading 10th Planet, the better it is for all of us. You either want 10P to eventually become accepted as a staple of Jiu Jitsu, or you want to keep it in the lockdown. You can't have it both ways.

"See, I put my leg right here and turn my body this way. It's my move!" -- I've got no respect for greedy, short-sighted people who think this way. I, for one, would be honored to see someone teaching a move I discovered. You can't own body positions or ideas. They belong to every human being capable of using them.

"Intellectual Property" is a myth with no basis in natural law, and the enforcement of it through government law is one of the greatest roadblocks of human achievement.

I don't need your respect and am far from greedy because I have never profited from teaching jj.

You can't steal a word either right? To be or not to be, that is the question. There is nothing to fear, but fear itself. Last dance with Mary Jane one more time to kill the pain. I just made those up and can have an epic play, speech, and song respectively. What would you call that?

Your example is the "wrestlers guillotine". Yes Eddie learned the sub. But you show me one person who learned to set it up from a modified(twister) side control, 4 setups from the turtle, from the back, and from 3/4 mount. With many steps in those setups each one extremely crucial.

It's his system. The sequence and strategy in which he put these 'moves', which yes are free to all, together to form a unique, unorthodox, and highly effective system which he has documented in books and DVDs plus a web series. It is what it is, deal with it.

Array

School
    Formerly 10P Spokane
    Bobby, you've completely missed the point, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    I don't need your respect and am far from greedy because I have never profited from teaching jj.
    There's nothing greedy about profiting from teaching jj. What is greedy is the hoarding of ideas and any attempt to use force in order to do so.

You can't steal a word either right? To be or not to be, that is the question. There is nothing to fear, but fear itself. Last dance with Mary Jane one more time to kill the pain. I just made those up and can have an epic play, speech, and song respectively. What would you call that?
    Those are phrases and lyrics which were assembled by people other than you. They are composed of words which were thought up by people other than the assemblers of those phrases and lyrics. If the creators of the words were able to enforce a monopoly on them, those phrases and lyrics would have never been created. You want to use them for yourself? Go right ahead.

Your example is the "wrestlers guillotine". Yes Eddie learned the sub. But you show me one person who learned to set it up from a modified(twister) side control, 4 setups from the turtle, from the back, and from 3/4 mount. With many steps in those setups each one extremely crucial.
    You're only awarding credence to my position. Eddie took an idea created by someone else and improved upon it. Hopefully, long after Eddie is dead, people will still be here improving upon what Eddie has done.

It's his system. The sequence and strategy in which he put these 'moves', which yes are free to all, together to form a unique, unorthodox, and highly effective system which he has documented in books and DVDs plus a web series. It is what it is, deal with it.
    With what exactly am I being instructed to deal? I agree with this statement.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work.[1][2] The idea remains problematic with unclear definitions and unclear rules.[3][4][5][6] The modern concept of plagiarism as immoral and originality as an ideal emerged in Europe only in the 18th century, particularly with the Romantic movement.

Plagiarism is considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics. It is subject to sanctions like expulsion.

Plagiarism is not a crime per se but in academia and industry it is a serious moral offence,[7][8] and cases of plagiarism can constitute copyright infringement.

Yeah we are clearly on the wrong page. The words are nothing as are the individual bodily positions. But, when sequenced in an original order, recognized by others for artistic, historical, creative, or functional merrit, they belong to that person.

Everyone will always be able to build upon the system, but he didn't. He plagiarized. Not cool.

Array

School
    Formerly 10P Spokane
    Yeah we are clearly on the wrong page. The words are nothing as are the individual bodily positions. But, when sequenced in an original order, recognized by others for artistic, historical, creative, or functional merrit, they belong to that person.

Everyone will always be able to build upon the system, but he didn't. He plagiarized. Not cool.
    Plagiarism has nothing to do with this.

I believe that plagiarism (taking credit for another's work) is morally wrong, but from what I saw, he didn't plagiarise anything. Sure, he didn't give credit where it was due (which I believe he could have done), but he didn't take credit for it either. And you know what, that's the nature of the beast. I can't remember if I've ever seen a BJJ instructional that gave a shout-out to Mitsuyo Maeda. Mentions of Helio and Carlos Gracie are rare as well. You know why? It's because eventually, credit becomes understood. Do you think that someone with a cursory interest in jiu jitsu who watches that guy's videos doesn't know or won't figure out who Eddie Bravo is? Eddie is incredibly well known, and his popularity will only increase with more exposure. If you have a beef with the guy, reply to his videos telling people to check out the real deal.

Eddie owns the books he's written. Eddie owns the DVDs he's filmed. He even owns the "10th Planet Jiu Jitsu" trademark. He does not, however, own the content of the system, which is merely a collection of ideas. It belongs to every human being who uses it.

And isn't that what we want? For systems like the Rubber Guard to eventually be accepted, studied, and perfected in schools across the world? People will always know where it came from, and the more people use it, the more immortalized the name of Eddie Bravo will become (and the more business Eddie and his moons will get).

So chill out. The only things the kid did wrong were the techniques.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Plagiarism has nothing to do with this.

I believe that plagiarism (taking credit for another's work) is morally wrong, but from what I saw, he didn't plagiarise anything. Sure, he didn't give credit where it was due (which I believe he could have done), but he didn't take credit for it either. And you know what, that's the nature of the beast. I can't remember if I've ever seen a BJJ instructional that gave a shout-out to Mitsuyo Maeda. Mentions of Helio and Carlos Gracie are rare as well. You know why? It's because eventually, credit becomes understood. Do you think that someone with a cursory interest in jiu jitsu who watches that guy's videos doesn't know or won't figure out who Eddie Bravo is? Eddie is incredibly well known, and his popularity will only increase with more exposure. If you have a beef with the guy, reply to his videos telling people to check out the real deal.

Eddie owns the books he's written. Eddie owns the DVDs he's filmed. He even owns the "10th Planet Jiu Jitsu" trademark. He does not, however, own the content of the system, which is merely a collection of ideas. It belongs to every human being who uses it.

And isn't that what we want? For systems like the Rubber Guard to eventually be accepted, studied, and perfected in schools across the world? People will always know where it came from, and the more people use it, the more immortalized the name of Eddie Bravo will become (and the more business Eddie and his moons will get).

So chill out. The only things the kid did wrong were the techniques.
    I would rather see Eddie get all the money for his ideas, not some fat kid who is doing it wrong take money out of his pocket and food of his kids table, fuck this kids rights to use Eddie's content is what I am saying. If you want to make money off the system, TRAIN IN IT, start an affiliate and your a proud business owner. We all know no one can "own" a set of movements, otherwise we would all owe someone money to someone for touching our toes and scratching our heads. Don't take something some one worked hard on and try to call it something else so you can try to make money, that is not honorable, that is not respectful, that's not even good instructing. That my friend is being an asshole.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin

Bullshit.

DOnt knwo the legal side for this but iassume that as he is misrepresenting the technique that is damaging to the 10thplanet brand as people will bes eeing this video, trying it and seeing it doesnt work. while doing this is probaly legal even if it is morally wrong and just rude, i think the part about him damaging the brand and therefore affecting eddies business definitly has to have something wrong with it.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    There's nothing you can do to stop dudes like this. All he's really doing is making a little money off an association and at the same time shutting himself out of the association, which he prolly doesn't give two shits about anyways, so whatevs
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    Soo.. Call off the mob?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast