Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    . The only way to beat a stronger and bigger person is to use speed, but that speed will hurt him."
    I dissagree, technique and your brain power can also beat them!! Almost everybody I roll with has 20-50 lbs on me and are pure muscle. I have also shown them almost everything I know. We have drilled every lockdown crusher more than once, yet I still use the lockdown almost every roll. I never ever use speed, as I am slow and old.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    I guess its different for a grown man to know his ability and skill and how to use it. For a child, even though you know all the technique in the world, sometimes it doesn't click. Especially when you have another kid that is almost twice your size crushing down on you... Especially that big kid happen to be just as good or even better than you. Techniques can go only so far, that is why they have weight class. Because when two good fighters go at it, the bigger one will win. For example, Jose Aldo is great, but put him against Anderson Silva or Jon Jones, he will get destroyed. I'm a small guy, so I know this to be true all of my life.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    [QUOTE=Cora Sek;161853 And some are so stubborn to tap out that they force Cora to put more pressure, thus hurting them before they tap out. Anyone having the same issues??

[/QUOTE]

my rule is: Just cause someone doesn't tap when they should, it doesn't give you the right to injure your training partner. If you hurt a training partner with an armbar and use the excuse "well they didn't tap" your are off the mat as long as they are, in my book. This does not apply to tournaments or to properly applied blood chokes. She needs to have her training partners best interest in mind at all time. You need all the training partners you can get. A tap at all costs in training is just not worth it. Hold the sub where you think they should tap and that is it, if they escape cause your not crankin' on it then so be it, transition to the next thing.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I guess its different for a grown man to know his ability and skill and how to use it. For a child, even though you know all the technique in the world, sometimes it doesn't click. Especially when you have another kid that is almost twice your size crushing down on you... Especially that big kid happen to be just as good or even better than you. Techniques can go only so far, that is why they have weight class. Because when two good fighters go at it, the bigger one will win. For example, Jose Aldo is great, but put him against Anderson Silva or Jon Jones, he will get destroyed. I'm a small guy, so I know this to be true all of my life.
    That is complete BS thinking. Marcelo never once let it enter his mind that he cannot beat bigger guys in absolute matches. He consistently has won against bigger, stronger, highly skilled black belts using great technique and mental ability.

Array

School
    Greg: you just don't understand where I'm coming from. We did this and more...believe me bro I am 100% in agreement with you. I even have to tell Cora to just let go and stop because the boys are so stubborn to tap becus they want to impress their parents or at least not tap to a girl. Doing this doesn't sit well with the kid and their parent also becus they blame Cora for quitting. So no matter what, its a bad situation we find ourselves in. I had to explain to the parent that Cora let him go because he can't get out of it and if continued, she will hurt him. They don't know much about JJ as I do, so they still don't buy what I'm telling them. Now I'm starting to tell Cora not to roll with those kids because I don't want to deal with it. Then there are kids that at first put up a good fight with Cora, but after awhile, realizing they can't beat her. They tap so fast even though she didn't do anything to them yet. To truly understand what i'm telling you, you have to see it unfold for yourself. Yes it is that rediculous now.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Greg: you just don't understand where I'm coming from. We did this and more...believe me bro I am 100% in agreement with you. I even have to tell Cora to just let go and stop because the boys are so stubborn to tap becus they want to impress their parents or at least not tap to a girl. Doing this doesn't sit well with the kid and their parent also becus they blame Cora for quitting. So no matter what, its a bad situation we find ourselves in. I had to explain to the parent that Cora let him go because he can't get out of it and if continued, she will hurt him. They don't know much about JJ as I do, so they still don't buy what I'm telling them. Now I'm starting to tell Cora not to roll with those kids because I don't want to deal with it. Then there are kids that at first put up a good fight with Cora, but after awhile, realizing they can't beat her. They tap so fast even though she didn't do anything to them yet. To truly understand what i'm telling you, you have to see it unfold for yourself. Yes it is that rediculous now.
    Oh, but the picture is getting clearer. I will withhold additional comments.

Array

School
    Greg: how many Marcelo are out there?? Lets take a subject that I can really speak about...Basketball. You speak of techniques and skill over size. There are many great ballers out there that never made it to the NBA because they lack size. They have the skills, but lack size. In sports, believe it or not SIZE matters. For a small guy to make it to the nba, he has to have a ton of skill. But for a big guy, he doesn't need that much. THere are thousands of point guards playing ball, but you only see the best of the best with great skills. But how many 7 footers do you see in the nba? A 7 footer doesn't need much skill, he will still be in the nba, but a point guard better be the top in the country to make it to the nba. You think Labron will be who he is if he was under 6 foot? No, because I know many Labron like players that has all his skills but not his size.
    Let take any other sport...tennis?? All men tennis player now are over 6 foot. Before Michael Chang was only 5'7" and he was able to compete. Now you don't see any 5'7" asian guy making it big time because all the best guys are well over 6 foot.
    Let take football, how many quarter back that are under 6 foot? Those that are under 6 foot never even make it to the NFL anymore. If they did, they don't last long.

With sports science and nutritions, and all these advance stuff they have going on now. Athletes today are getting bigger and bigger, with the skills of the little guy. WHo do you want on your team, a very skilled little guy or a little less skilled big guy.. For most sport franchise, they will settle for a little less skilled big guy anyday... because the ONE thing you can't teach is SIZE.

I've been around sports all my life and this is unfortunately the reality and truth. I don't like it as I'm a small guy myself..but its the truth.

Array

School
    oh don't stop the comments... I am liking this conversation. ( sorry took this one from the last samurai)..

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Hi Bruce, Greg has valuable points here. You can't always rely on speed or strength, for that matter, to win.
    Supreme technique conquers all.
    As one ages, flexibility, strength, and speed diminishes.
    But technique will always be with you, so make your technique as supreme as possible.

And as for the guys not tapping, it's too bad they dont want to.
    What I try to teach my guys is go so far as to know you've tapped them, and look at them to see whether they are going to tap.
    If they don't, it's okay, it's not the end of the world. Mental tag and move on to the next technique in your chain.

Pilots will perform "touch and go" drills in which they land their aircraft on the tarmac only to take off right away. In your rolling with partners, train with that in mind. Touch(or almost tap your opponent, take note), and go(flow to the next tech).

Array

School
    Per you guys advice, I sat Cora down and really discuss this situation. More motivation for her to train...

Here is a video from tonight session.... can you pick out what is the new technique that we just added to her game??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast