Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Combat Society
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, everyone.
    The more I think about the best diet for controlling bowel inflammation, the more it looks like everyone should eat like this. Avoid shitty foods and eat non-processed fruits, veg and meats etc. Maybe IBD wasn't the worst thing that could have happened to me. I've become a lot more aware of what I eat and the effect it has on my body. There's definitely a lesson for non-IBD sufferers there too.

Michael, some of the stuff you mentioned is illegal according to the SCD. Do you just figure out what does/doesn't work for you personally? Are you following the SCD? I've been on a modified version of it for the best part of a year, and it's helped me get through a couple of nasty flares.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    We read and use the paleo solution, nothing is perfect and with UC the diet is so restrictive just finding stuff to eat is difficult, peanut butter is allowed in both the UC diets we use but not the paleo. The UC diets contain very little items that contain fat. The ones that do are real expensive, difficult to obtain, or difficult to eat. Peanut butter is allowed and cheap and easy and tasty. Mayo clinics one major concern about my wife's diet was not enough fat intake. So we made the choice to include peanut butter in her diet. We also eat black/white beans which paleo does not allow, but do not eat potatoes/sweet potatoes that paleo allows, beacause they basically turn into sugars and promote bad bacterial growth in the digestive tract. Also, my wife just does not like or eat red meat dispite trying very hard, So we have to make adjustments/decisions. Our Chiropractor is 100% paleo and reccomends it to his patients and his wife is a trained professional diet coach that teaches paleo diets to people across the country. He has reviewed our diets, along with Mayo clinic and agree with our current diet choices for UC. Kurzy, have you read and studied the SCD and "breaking the vicious cycle diet"?
    Sounds like you guys know what you're dealing with. I am not 100% paleo myself, I eat what I want, however I am super-low starch and super-low sugar all the time. Gluten is not an issue for me that I know of. However my wife and I belong to a marketing pyramid amway type business called Melaleuca and we get all our protein and stuff through them. We don't build teh business, we are just customers, but we like the products, they get shipped right to our door, and they are gluten free. I just mention it in case Gluten is an issue.

As far as SCD and the Vicious Cycle, I have never heard of it. Cliff notes?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    GGBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by pjdoxopoulos View Post
    Michael, some of the stuff you mentioned is illegal according to the SCD. Do you just figure out what does/doesn't work for you personally? Are you following the SCD? I've been on a modified version of it for the best part of a year, and it's helped me get through a couple of nasty flares.
    I suppose everyone is different so what works for me may not for you. My UC effects only a small section on the lower left side. My case is more mild than some but it sure seemed overwhelming to me until I starting working on my diet...which can always improve. I hadn't heard of the SCD but just looked it up, its definitely more intense of a diet than I keep. I figured out my diet along the way, many of the answers were there all along but I was not willing to but in the effort to eat well (and consequently continued to make myself sick). Quite possibly my UC would effect me even less if I was on the SCD but I feel like I have things controlled well on a diet that allows me more options (so I'll keep my potatoes & chocolate thank you!).

There are a lot of different diets & many foods that you might only know you can tolerate by trial & error. But the biggest step is cutting out the crap, processed foods/drinks. I think that has a way bigger impact on your UC than some of the debatable items (like potatoes, beans, rice). I've found myself wondering if say the corn in my soup was bad for me because I started having a flare the day I ate the soup.... but after further thought I would usually realize that during the previous week I ate pizza twice & started drinking a few Mt Dews for the caffeine boost after lunch, things like that. So, anyways... the message is focus on cutting out the crap 1st!

Also about protein powder...Isopure is lactose free. I've had a problem with other protein powders & never have an issue with Isopure, give it a try. For guys like us that can struggle to get enough protein to grow muscle, its awesome to supplement with a daily shake! I also dig the Naked juice 30g protein drinks, more expensive than making your own but a great option when you are on the go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12