Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    I almost wanna say he has some form of autism. Not really digging the social aspect of things but would just zone out on Jiu jitsu, if given the chance. Don't cut him out just yet, he's probably a nice guy but socially isn't able to hang. That's okay.
    Now if he looked liked he wanted to kill everyone, that's different, but you describe a person who is mildly autistic, and needs special attention.
    However, it may not be. And putting others at risk, that have clearly stated they do not feel comfortable around him could seriously disrupt the flow of your gym's culture, is not conducive to a positive learning environment.

Do NOT lie to him and make up an excuse as to why you are asking him to leave. Just tell him he is no longer welcome at your academy. You have to right to refuse any business and you do not need to give any reasons.

If you feel it necessary to give him and explanation (and I do not recommend this), tell him he makes everyone feel uncomfortable and you have recieved several concerns from others, I wouldn't say anymore than this. The reason I wouldn't give him any insight at all is legal repercussions, you don't need a civil discrimination lawsuit. Winning or losing them costs money.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Look, I am never going to win any friendship or besty points by saying this, but it has to be said. Are you a martial arts instructor or a psychologist? IF your a martial arts instructor, then don't play psychologist. When dude is ready to come to class, or his caseworker contacts you to work something out, then let him train. Until then, you have a whole class, and likely chilrens classes to teach. Training dude could be a lifelong journey and be spiritually and emotionally rewarding, or it could devastate you and your school.

Chris Herzog wrote something that you should pay attention to IMHO, "is not conducive to a positive learning environment". Having wasted a couple of years and alot of my money studying training my non expert opinion is that this guy could potentially have a negative effect on your other students.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by ern View Post

Chris Herzog wrote something that you should pay attention to IMHO, "is not conducive to a positive learning environment". Having wasted a couple of years and alot of my money studying training my non expert opinion is that this guy could potentially have a negative effect on your other students.
    Everything I say should be paid attention too

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Yes!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    However, it may not be. And putting others at risk, that have clearly stated they do not feel comfortable around him could seriously disrupt the flow of your gym's culture, is not conducive to a positive learning environment.

Do NOT lie to him and make up an excuse as to why you are asking him to leave. Just tell him he is no longer welcome at your academy. You have to right to refuse any business and you do not need to give any reasons.

If you feel it necessary to give him and explanation (and I do not recommend this), tell him he makes everyone feel uncomfortable and you have recieved several concerns from others, I wouldn't say anymore than this. The reason I wouldn't give him any insight at all is legal repercussions, you don't need a civil discrimination lawsuit. Winning or losing them costs money.
    agreed.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha

Thanks Zog that's exactly what I'm feeling. I'm not going to lie to him but I do feel he could be a danger. I'm going to talk to his parents though because this is a small town and I don't feel like he will understand. During our conversations/interactions I have noticed that he just doesn't understand what's going on most of the time.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by ern View Post
    Look, I am never going to win any friendship or besty points by saying this, but it has to be said. Are you a martial arts instructor or a psychologist? IF your a martial arts instructor, then don't play psychologist. When dude is ready to come to class, or his caseworker contacts you to work something out, then let him train. Until then, you have a whole class, and likely chilrens classes to teach. Training dude could be a lifelong journey and be spiritually and emotionally rewarding, or it could devastate you and your school.

With all the crazy shit that has been going on all over the country all of us have to "play psychologist" and keep an eye out. It's not as simple as just being a martial arts instructor and waiting for the "system" to figure it out. Let's face it, their track record sucks.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    I live on the other side of the country and all the advice I have ever received from Coach Zog usually translate into something positive/beneficial, less I piss him off, than I usually get served.

Array

School
    Ok, I talked to his dad and he is mildly autistic and very bright. He has no history of any violence or anything like that. According to his dad what he was doing last night is just what he does when he gets excited. I'm going to switch him to private lessons and slowly bring him into the group class. Thank you all for the advice, in the end I'm glad I contacted his parents and I hope martial arts will help him.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Moises "Mo" Montalvo View Post
    Ok, I talked to his dad and he is mildly autistic and very bright. He has no history of any violence or anything like that. According to his dad what he was doing last night is just what he does when he gets excited. I'm going to switch him to private lessons and slowly bring him into the group class. Thank you all for the advice, in the end I'm glad I contacted his parents and I hope martial arts will help him.
    Well done sir

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast