Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Team Hammer/ 10th Planet Allentown

Torn Rib Cartilage

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this injury and any advice?

I was training for an upcoming grappling tourney this weekend and felt soreness from my upper right rib area. It was not a big pain, I figured it was from working and rolling a lot. Wednesday night in class I went to take someone's back off an arm drag and *POP*, I couldn't move. I was not able to get up or lay down, was a sharp pain coming from that upper right rib area. I was able to ice it and left to the E.R. The X-rays did not show any breaks and the doctors basically said to take pain meds and rest. They said it looks like I did some damage to the rib cartilage. I've been at work for the past two days in extreme pain.

I'm definitely not competing and I am frustrated because I am sure I'll be out for a while from grappling. Let me know if anyone has any experience or advice on this. Thanks

Array

School
    10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Took me 3 weeks to heal and I'm still a little tender to the touch. Just gotta let it heal.

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    I had the exact same thing dude. Someone went for an underneath pass on me and out of nowhere POP! Similarly to yourself, I couldn't move and it hurt to even turn over in bed.

I was rubbing voltarol cream into it twice a day, taking a hot bath every other day and doing my best to rest it, but with my job being physical it was difficult. I could drill lightly after 4 weeks and spar properly after 6. It really is a case of just letting it heal my brother, as frustrating as it is.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    4-6 weeks for full recovery. Chill out for a while and arnica gel for circulation and inflamation. Depending on how bad it is, you might have a ptotrusion. I call it cauliflower rib. Anytime cartilage gets damaged it gets deformed. This happened to me twice and almost every jj guy I know.

I find it is a core issue. Either your core isn't strong enough to support your structural integrity or you weren't engaging it properly at the time. Keeping your core engaged is crucial. Flexibility can also be an issue, but it happens to them too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Had the same thing happen. Took about 6 weeks to really be able to move again. Rib injuries are difficult to deal with because, unlike other bones and cartilage, there is no way to immobilize it. It moves every time you breathe. That is why taking the time off is so important. Take care of yourself. Jiu Jitsu is a marathon, not a sprint.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa, CA
    I seperated a rib/tore cartilage in practice last year (had xrays). You will probably have 2-4 weeks recovery and then it will be bothersome for a good 4-6 month depending on how bad it is. I have a big lump where the cartilage tore and the rib separated but no pain now. Enjoy the Hydrocodone!

Array

School
    Revolution Combat Sports
    I agree with everyone above. You can probably do really light drilling , depending on your pain tolerance, after 2 weeks, but it's gotta be really controlled. I tore mine while turning the wrong way putting on a triangle and getting stacked. My core was very weak AND I'd had a chiropractic adjustment the day before. Found out that your ribs are very vulnerable after that for a few days until they settle. Wish I had known! Like a dumbass I did a tourney 3 days later and every mofo wanted to play knee on belly. Was a bad day!LOL!

Array

School
    Thanks everyone

From reading this thread and others on the internet, it seems that all I can really do is rest and get through it. Got some anti inflammatory meds and a pillow Its been hell so far and I'm only on day 2. I had to sleep sitting up last night and work has been horrible to move around.

6-8 weeks is going to seem like a century

Array

School
    Anybody use a bandage or anything? I heard thats not too good to do but I've had numerous co-workers ask me if I was wrapped up

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wallace View Post
    I agree with everyone above. You can probably do really light drilling , depending on your pain tolerance, after 2 weeks, but it's gotta be really controlled. I tore mine while turning the wrong way putting on a triangle and getting stacked. My core was very weak AND I'd had a chiropractic adjustment the day before. Found out that your ribs are very vulnerable after that for a few days until they settle. Wish I had known! Like a dumbass I did a tourney 3 days later and every mofo wanted to play knee on belly. Was a bad day!LOL!
    Getting stacked is how I tore mine too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast