Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Sbardella MMA/Black Tie BJJ

Sub-Only In Michigan

Hey everyone, looking at introducing the 'MSOA' (Michigan Sub-Only Association) to our state's grappling circuit and wanted a little feedback. Michigan lacks credible BJJ/Grappling tournaments and it's something we've been playing with the idea for quite some time. I've wrestled for almost 20 years now and planned on organizing the divisions similar to a wrestling bracket, instead of single loss elimination, offering a Double Elimination to ensure mat time. Also having a True Second so finalists aren't automatically given a Silver. More or less fix what's wrong with the tournaments here in Michigan. We have a HUGE support base growing and encouraging me to get the ball rolling. Not to mention a beautiful arena in Gladwin who is more than on board.

I think it'd really generate a buzz about No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu in our area, we have a couple Gi programs who are excited and wanting to be involved - So we'll be reaching out to every credible BJJ/Wrestling Program throughout the state.

Would like to offer Skill levels - Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced - As well as standard weight divisions, Kids, Teen, & Senior Divisions. With customized MSOA medals for the top 3 placers, as well as a team trophy for the team with the most 'Points' or medalists. Thinking of keeping the cost of entry around $40 to keep it affordable for everyone (Cheaper for the kids).

Hope to have the support from my 10th Planet Family and make Michigan's grappling circuit something to be proud of.

We have several Professional MMA fighters up for reffing (As well as competing) who all have credited grappling backgrounds. - If we had enough coaches interested maybe do a few 'Super fights' with the winner taking a trophy back to their schools award wall.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    Be good to see a fairly done tourney been sick of the whole 2 points across the board thing in my experience you just get wrestlers running take downs maybe pass then get back up and either stall or run it again which gets old real fast. Should add in year end champions and get Proam belts to make grappling belts white leather chrome and like lime green like our gyms colors

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Sbardella View Post
    Hey everyone, looking at introducing the 'MSOA' (Michigan Sub-Only Association) to our state's grappling circuit and wanted a little feedback. Michigan lacks credible BJJ/Grappling tournaments and it's something we've been playing with the idea for quite some time. I've wrestled for almost 20 years now and planned on organizing the divisions similar to a wrestling bracket, instead of single loss elimination, offering a Double Elimination to ensure mat time. Also having a True Second so finalists aren't automatically given a Silver. More or less fix what's wrong with the tournaments here in Michigan. We have a HUGE support base growing and encouraging me to get the ball rolling. Not to mention a beautiful arena in Gladwin who is more than on board.

I think it'd really generate a buzz about No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu in our area, we have a couple Gi programs who are excited and wanting to be involved - So we'll be reaching out to every credible BJJ/Wrestling Program throughout the state.

Would like to offer Skill levels - Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced - As well as standard weight divisions, Kids, Teen, & Senior Divisions. With customized MSOA medals for the top 3 placers, as well as a team trophy for the team with the most 'Points' or medalists. Thinking of keeping the cost of entry around $40 to keep it affordable for everyone (Cheaper for the kids).

Hope to have the support from my 10th Planet Family and make Michigan's grappling circuit something to be proud of.

We have several Professional MMA fighters up for reffing (As well as competing) who all have credited grappling backgrounds. - If we had enough coaches interested maybe do a few 'Super fights' with the winner taking a trophy back to their schools award wall.
    You could also run exhibition brackets where people can just roll with other dudes for mat time.

A cool thing about sub only is that your refs dont have to worry about keeping track of points.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHamp View Post
    Be good to see a fairly done tourney been sick of the whole 2 points across the board thing in my experience you just get wrestlers running take downs maybe pass then get back up and either stall or run it again which gets old real fast. Should add in year end champions and get Proam belts to make grappling belts white leather chrome and like lime green like our gyms colors
    Pro-Am belts is on board with that actually! Received a message shortly after the post

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kietzman View Post
    You could also run exhibition brackets where people can just roll with other dudes for mat time.

A cool thing about sub only is that your refs dont have to worry about keeping track of points.
    Exhibitions will be held following the completion of the tournament

Array

School
    Championship belt for the absolute division is a go!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    Sounds awesome! We will be there! Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Bad Ass, Sub only is taking over!
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Indianapolis
    10th Planet Indy is down...keep us posted!

Array

School
    AWESOME! Really appreciate the support guys. We will finish all the minor details right after next weekend, we have quite a few guys competing in the SSFL in MMA competition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast