Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Originally Posted by Kurzy

"Competing against peers is not the same as competing against your teacher.
    I fully understand where this guy's decision came from."

Agreed also.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I would prob do the same thing too...although ideally I'd, try to compete in diff weight classes or something to avoid that

Array

School
    Big Girls Gym
    This is why I asked the question, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I totally understand conceding to your mentor, but than again I feel your coach should maybe conceded to the student. Isn't a coaches goal to share enough knowledge with his student so one day they can carry the torch so to speak. Pay It Forward!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    See personally I don't see competing against your instructor as a sign of disrespect. It's Jiu Jitsu. It's not like you're trying to knock your instructor out. Like Kyle said "keep it playful"
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by Kyl modra View Post
    I feel your coach should maybe conceded to the student. Isn't a coaches goal to share enough knowledge with his student so one day they can carry the torch so to speak. Pay It Forward!
    That sir is what a great leader does.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    They have a different perspective then you guys do. They don't look at it as one person "conceding" to the other, or even one person taking gold and the other taking silver. They consider it closing out the division as co-champions.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Pay it forward is a nice motto, and so is keep it playful, but I have different opinions on this than you guys probably do. The whole "Keep it playful" thing started up just before Metamoris, and I believe it was an escape hatch for the Gracie ego if a Gracie lost. I could be wrong but that is my gut feeling on it.

Pay it forward is good for senior students and lower students, etc, but I personally am a traditional martial artist, and it is in my DNA to step down before my instructor. I have always regarded my instructors with an air of nobility.
    (Unless they prove that they are undeserving over time, which has happened at one club in particular)

If I was in the same division, and in a position like that, and my instructor instructed me to roll him, I would, only because he demanded it from me.
    If he did not literally instruct me to roll him, I would silently back off and concede. I don't know. I just get where he is coming from.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Great post Joe.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12