Thread: Gratitude

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne

Gratitude

Yesterday I did the most significant amount of live work I've managed since mid January, after dealing with a lower back strain that became a back of rib muscle issue, to a back sprain. I made two unsuccessful comebacks before having to succumb to not even drilling to let everything settle and heal. I woke up today feeling a bit of apprehension, but my body feels good - just the usual lower back stiffness I usually end up with.

It was a long, hard and difficult road back especially mentally - I'm pretty sure I went through the five stages of grief during the course of my recovery - but it's really reinforced the fact that this isn't just some passing interest, this is something I am inspired by, and want to continue for the rest of my life.

I am immensely grateful to all my training partners (particularly Laura) for keeping me in a positive frame of mind, checking in on me and keeping me interested, night after night of sitting on the mat in sweats, not able to do anything. For Graystar for helping me realise that what I had to deal with wasn't the end of the world and wasn't really that big a deal at all. Great to have you back on the mat, buddy. For Sensei Frank for keeping me motivated, keeping me involved and allowing me to assist with the newbies. Helping to teach has kept me sharp and made me even more conscious of getting the details right, which I have no doubt will make me a better grappler, and I am humbled that you think highly enough of me to allow me to assist you with something as critical as the warm ups for the newer guys.

I can't wait to get back on the mats tomorrow and continue to ease myself back into a full training load. Time off sucks, missing reps sucks, but at the end of the day I still attended almost as many classes as I would normally, I kept my brain engaged and outside of my rolling conditioning and a few bad habits that have crept back in, I don't feel slow, awkward or rusty.

For any of you nursing or rehabbing injuries and doing everything you can to get back on the mats, I salute you and I hope your road to recovery is swift and without setback.

#Granklife
    #10P4L

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne/ Goulburn Valley Jiu Jitsu
    I spent a LOT of last year injured.
    It sucks to take time off but I learnt a lot about how to train for me and honestly my Jiu Jitsu and my general day to day is better for the experience.
    It forced my hand and made me address my issues.
    Glad to hear your back on the mats dude.
    I look forward to rolling with the APecks Predator again

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Well said Anthony

I have always said, that winners, who are unemployed in the body, are always employed in the mind!
    You proved that son! That shit works! Mental strength is the key in all challenging circumstances. U must find ways, through creativity, to overcome!

Great to have you back mate.

Stank

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne/ Goulburn Valley Jiu Jitsu
    Also you should of named this thread Grankitude

Array

School
    10th Planet Melbourne
    You're awesome Peck! Whether they're mental reps or physical reps.... reps is reps.