Array

School
    Jiu Jitsu Kingdom

One of my Blue Belts ripping through a comp with his Rubber Guard and a Question!

Hey Eddie and 10th Planeteers,

I thought I would take a minute to post a couple of matches of my business partner(and one of my blue belts) Cameron Smith ripping through his opponents with his Rubber Guard at the "2013 Events Jiu Jitsu Sydney Cup Championship" a few weeks ago!

Cam had a bye in the first round then tore his opponents shoulder apart with a nasty omoplata from Rubber Guard after attempting a verytight Gogoplata. Somehow his opponent fought through it and ended up tapping to a Kimura.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=2&theater

In the final he again locked up the RUbber Guard, faked an omoplata and finished with a Triangle from Meat Hook!
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=2&theater

Anyway my question is about the omoplata from the first match at about 1.40 in when you lock up the omoplata with the far hook under the opponent's far knee. In the gym when Cam or I lock it up it seems no one ever escapes as they are too late, in too deep and unable to roll or clear the leg to attempt to roll. However his opponent rolled out albeit tore his shoulder apart. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I mean although Cam is a blue belt I have seen him tap high level purple and brown belts from this position if he locks it up as it is his go to submission!

Thanks and I'll see you in Sydney Eddie! :-)

P.S. Feel free to like my gym's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ji...775080?fref=ts

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Tell him to start creating downward pressure (ceiling to floor) with his left leg, while simultaneously creating upward pressure with the outside of his left ankle against the opponent's face/neck. This super small detail will make a tremendous difference in the amount of pressure generated against the shoulder joint, and will force his eventual roll escape to be on your terms. Because you will be able to feel the escape coming with more sensitivity, you will be able to better sense the proper time to begin leg curling with your left leg to more effectively secure the shoulder during the roll.

When you do roll, keep that left foot in the Kung Fu position, keep your hips tight to his shoulder, and slide your butt along the mat towards his head as he lands on his back. Base on your left hand, use your right hand on the outside of your own left knee, and finish the monoplata.

Hope that helps.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Jiu Jitsu Kingdom
    Hi Brandon,

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate! The advice you offered is perfect for the sweep which I must admit I go for most of the time! However my question is more for when you are looking to finish the omoplata as a submission and have your legs locked in a triangle with the far hook pressuring up strongly under your opponent's knee preventing him from unpeeling it and rolling to escape!

In the gym, whenever I have been able to get this far into the omoplata my training partner has ALWAYS been forced to tap! And I am not even a killer with omoplata( personally I usually go for the sweep unless this opportunity presents itself)! I know Robert Drysdale uses this version of the omoplata in his DVD series but I was wondering if Eddie Bravo or any other 10th planet guys have similar experience with the technique? That or any tweaks/tricks that i can add to my game from there! :-)

But thank you again for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate the feedback! :-)

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Felipe: I"m no brown belt or anything but my daughter and I have been drilling the many ways to get the Carne, the move that you call the omoplata on the 1st video. What we find is that like Brandon point out, having that downward pressure is crucial. Also make sure his leg is stiffly straight and not bent while putting the downward pressure to trap the opponent's leg. If its bent, a strong roll out will escape it for sure just like in this case. Also if he is going for the CArne, from a failed Gogoplata, make sure he use his upper leg to kick himself to the side of his opponent and not remain under him. I find this movement will lock the shoulder more and helps to pin the opponent to the mat.

Holy shiiit.... did I just give a brown belt and a blue belt advice??? what on earth????!!!!! LOL

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Sup Felipe. We call it the carni. Similar to the omo, but separate because of the finish. You never escape your bottom leg because it's used to trap him. Then you jack his arm with your top hand. It's kind of a funny move because people don't recognize it as a sub and feel slightly mobile so they can be stubborn on the tap. Especially in comps. If they are really flexible or really strong they can find a way to roll. Sometimes without doing damage or sometimes at the expense of their shoulder. You have to anticipate this and move first with the tech Brandon described.

When he says roll, think more like a pencil than a ball. Are you familiar with the swim move?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    And we don't triangle our legs on the carni. This will give your bottom leg more mobility while allowing your top ankle to push his face and neck away and off center. This will automatically make him weaker.

We do triangle our legs for a finish here as well, cept we hook his far armpit with our bottom leg and look for far wrist control with our bottom hand. We call this finish the Hazlett. Also money. Both strong finishes, with the Hazlett offering slightly more control. If you get that far wrist they aren't goin anywhere.

All these are detailed in Mastering the System.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Brandon dropping knowledge!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    So much knowledge on this thread
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Jiu Jitsu Kingdom
    Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated! :-) And Cora Sek, I am always open to learn and improve my game! I believe you can learn from anyone! Awesome feedback guys, again, I really appreciate it and look forward to your seminar in Sydney Eddie!
    P.S. Brandon, I'll work on that monoplata as well! :-)