Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox

Help with a decision on weight

So I'm struggling with a decision on the weight best for me to fight at. I'm 5'10 and walk around 138-140. The question is do I go to 125 or bulk up and fight 135. I'm leaning towards 25 but hearing from some it's a bad idea some say I should. Every time I fought at 135 the dude was way bigger, and I fought at 130 once and felt great. They said I'm to young to be able to stay that light for long me being 18. So what do you guys think do I try it once see how it is, go for the size up? Thanks for the feed back

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    A couple things to consider: 1. its a percentage of your BMI that you cut and shorter thicker body types can cut more than tall thin bodies. 2. If you are only 18 and early in your career, theres almost no reason to cut weight. fight at 135 is my advice. 3. technique is better to have than a good weight cut to solve the size issue.
    For example, Barncat competes at 139 now instead of 129, so far with no weight cut. He was already being overpowered and out athleticised at 129, and the cut was brutal! But, his jits is so fluid and just down right sick, that it didnt matter... cutting to 129 was hard for him, but dealing with and beating 139ers is easier than the cut to 129 for sure. i believe more skills and technique is the answer, not more dehydration to dodge the slightly bigger guys..
    This is all just opinion and of course and opinions vary. Whatver you choose...Good luck bro!

Array

School
    I'm just really unsure, think George roop 6'1 cuts to 135, I think I have to test it out to be sure but thanks for the insight, these guys I'm fighting walk around at like 155-160 and I don't know if its the class for me

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonrivello View Post
    So I'm struggling with a decision on the weight best for me to fight at. I'm 5'10 and walk around 138-140. The question is do I go to 125 or bulk up and fight 135. I'm leaning towards 25 but hearing from some it's a bad idea some say I should. Every time I fought at 135 the dude was way bigger, and I fought at 130 once and felt great. They said I'm to young to be able to stay that light for long me being 18. So what do you guys think do I try it once see how it is, go for the size up? Thanks for the feed back
    A 13lb cut for you wouldn't be impossible, but it would for sure take the piss out of you. Make sure you're safe about it, and possibly do a test cut one of these days to see what you can do without feeling like you're going to die.

Array

School
    Test cut would be smart and when I say 1 walk around 138-40 that's with out a thought to nutrition, with alot of junk in me, all I do to make 35 is clean up a lil bit

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Do you have an mma coach?
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    i have a jits coach, kb coach and boxing coach, none fought mma but they advsed me to stay 135

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonrivello View Post
    i have a jits coach, kb coach and boxing coach, none fought mma but they advsed me to stay 135
    there you go.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Honestly since you are so young if you train your body to cut to 125 now and see how your body deals with it a few times that should give you your answer. You will be dealing with a lot of short stockier guys but your ranged and long limbs for submissions and with a striking background will make you dangerous.

Array

School
    10p Ronin
    Have you ever cut weight before? Its all about how you feel man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast