Side Control Escape/Sweep Help

I am having problems with big strong wrestlers getting my arm in a keylock with the threat of Americana and when I defend the Americana they just pin me down and stall. It has happened to me 4 times now in matches and fights. I don't have anyone at my gym over 180 lbs to to practice with. Other than "Bro, you fucked up a long time ago!" Does anyone have any tips/techniques that could help in this situation?

AmericanaWrestler-300x253.png

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    AFS Academy/10th Planet Richmond, Richmond, Ky.
    It's hard to give specific advice without seeing you roll and how you are getting caught, but I'll give some general advice. Assuming you are talking about being subbed in side control since that's the picture you posted: Try to never be flat on your back whenever possible. If you are on your side facing him, as you should be, it will already be harder for them to secure the Americana. Also, try to secure the underhook position with that arm that's being attacked a lot rather than T-Rex like you are threatening the backdoor escapes. If you do in fact get caught, Y-hand/Heisman escape his armpit hard as you can and rip your arm free from his grip and bring it back home. You may even be able to escape side control at the same time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    All About the Ghost series. It'll really help you out. Also watch the Denny Prokopos vs Justin Rader match from this weekend, Denny displays some great escapes from side control. That thread should be up at the top of the page.

Thanks to all for you input. Zog I actually was looking at your Ghost series the day before I posted this question and I have started repping it as of yesterday. So thank you for that

My real problem though is how to get him off me once he has blown through my frame. What happened in the image is I was framed on his hip and throat and he basically went beast mode through my throat frame and drove my arm into Americana position. I removed my hip frame to reach around and defend the Americana. I took a quick look for the Heisman under the armpit first but the way he was sprawled i didn't think it would work.

Once I moved my elbow to my head he basically just pinned it to the mat with all of his weight and force. I don't think he understood that he couldn't submit me from there. Anyway, he held me there for about a minute and I didn't feel like I could do anything to get out from under him without risking Americana or Arm triangle (and the ref didn't stand us up). He finally gave up and I was able to frame and replace guard.

Hope I explained that well enough.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Gotcha, I use little "baby bumps" (like half asses bridges) to create a very tiny bit of space to help establish the frame. If you are really good at the "baby bumps" you won't even need the frames.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I like Nino Schembri's bottom side. Keeps my hand out of Americana territory. Just mind your back.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Not sure if this helps. But I wanted to share anyways. Cora have this boy that is about 40 lbs heavier than her. The Americana from side control is his go to move against her. He just bullied his way pass her guard and smash on her and hunt for the Americana until he gets it. So what we been doing is shrimp really hard out (which only create a tiny opening) then she do the jailbreak. Just getting her foot under him will create a ramp for her other knee to slide in and push him back down, thus disrupting his attack. And even get him into guard. Yeah so the shrimp out and jail break would be my advice to you. Not that I know anything....