Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    If they had a rematch and Denny asked you how to prepare for the match strategically, what would be your gameplan to beat this monster?
    I watched all the No-gi Rader vids online right after this also trying to figure this out. I agaree his weakness is DLR/ spriral. His leg lock defense is real good so those are long shots. His posture is too strong to just pull closed guard. Unless you just prepare awsome cardio and posture breaking to the next level above him, It is also a long shot.

my 2 cents for a sub only no points match.
    Spend 1% time on top than Rader does, Denny wins.
    Wrestler with him more, never pull guard. Force Rader to spend the energy to take you down. Stuffed takedowns burn tons of energy. If you take him down and land on top you win. If he takes you down, escape,stand and wrestle. Do not let him engage your open guard if you can't stand up, go spiral as soon as he comes in, he will swamp walk out and give you space to stand up right away. This takes the pressure off and gives you a breather. I think on the 6 or 7th takedown Rader makes an error and either leaves his neck exposed for 10 finger or darce or gets swept during the take down and Denny ends on top and wears Rader down and begins to turn the tide. I look at a match as total energy spend is always equal to 100%. Standing you are at 50% per opponent. A person attempting a takedown jumps to 60% while the person defending is spending 40%. For every one you stuff you gain ground. Everytime you get taken down it swaps to 40%-60% the other way. Net result is even. Defend three, get taken down once you are ahead. When Rader is pressure passing he shifts the scale in his favor to like 30%-70%. Once passed Denny's guard it looked more like 40%-60%, Denny was pretty cool underneath. Huge amounts of energy were spent defending the pressure passing and Rader still passed almost everytime anyway. A sprial attempt ,swamp walk defense is about 50%-50%. Cobrinha does not get worn down, he sits, sprials, sits, spiral. His Spiral/DLR is master level and he knows he will hit it eventually. Unless you have that level of sprial, not likely to happen. Just use that time after the swampwalk to stand up. Cobrinha was also worried about takedown points that is why he just sits. I did not do the numbers real close but it looked to me that of the total 11.1 minutes of the match. They spent 3 standing or neutral, 6 rader pressure passing, 2.1 Rader in side control or mount. The goal for victory for same 11.1 minutes looks more like 5 standing or neutral, 3 Rader in top side or mount, 3.1 Denny on top side or mount. I think Denny could win if it were 6 minutes standing or Nuetral, 1 minute Rader pressure passing, 3 Rader on top side or mount, 1.1 minute Denny on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    I watched all the No-gi Rader vids online right after this also trying to figure this out. I agaree his weakness is DLR/ spriral. His leg lock defense is real good so those are long shots. His posture is too strong to just pull closed guard. Unless you just prepare awsome cardio and posture breaking to the next level above him, It is also a long shot.

my 2 cents for a sub only no points match.
    Spend 1% time on top than Rader does, Denny wins.
    Wrestler with him more, never pull guard. Force Rader to spend the energy to take you down. Stuffed takedowns burn tons of energy. If you take him down and land on top you win. If he takes you down, escape,stand and wrestle. Do not let him engage your open guard if you can't stand up, go spiral as soon as he comes in, he will swamp walk out and give you space to stand up right away. This takes the pressure off and gives you a breather. I think on the 6 or 7th takedown Rader makes an error and either leaves his neck exposed for 10 finger or darce or gets swept during the take down and Denny ends on top and wears Rader down and begins to turn the tide. I look at a match as total energy spend is always equal to 100%. Standing you are at 50% per opponent. A person attempting a takedown jumps to 60% while the person defending is spending 40%. For every one you stuff you gain ground. Everytime you get taken down it swaps to 40%-60% the other way. Net result is even. Defend three, get taken down once you are ahead. When Rader is pressure passing he shifts the scale in his favor to like 30%-70%. Once passed Denny's guard it looked more like 40%-60%, Denny was pretty cool underneath. Huge amounts of energy were spent defending the pressure passing and Rader still passed almost everytime anyway. A sprial attempt ,swamp walk defense is about 50%-50%. Cobrinha does not get worn down, he sits, sprials, sits, spiral. His Spiral/DLR is master level and he knows he will hit it eventually. Unless you have that level of sprial, not likely to happen. Just use that time after the swampwalk to stand up. Cobrinha was also worried about takedown points that is why he just sits. I did not do the numbers real close but it looked to me that of the total 11.1 minutes of the match. They spent 3 standing or neutral, 6 rader pressure passing, 2.1 Rader in side control or mount. The goal for victory for same 11.1 minutes looks more like 5 standing or neutral, 3 Rader in top side or mount, 3.1 Denny on top side or mount. I think Denny could win if it were 6 minutes standing or Nuetral, 1 minute Rader pressure passing, 3 Rader on top side or mount, 1.1 minute Denny on top.
    I think it's a stretch and maybe over analyzing to break out all those percentages like that. Saying that a person going for a takedown is at 60% and someone defending is at 40%, I don't know but I don't think it's that simple. Sometimes people are defending harder than the person shooting.

I think the best way to sweep him is a tight open guard where you can keep the inside track. if you want that to be spiral, fine. Just make sure you're doing it right. I'd say the heavy majority of people using spiral/rdlr do it wrong.

I like Marcelo's strategy in studying opponents which obviously won't work for everyone. he just watches how they start the match. Nothing else. He doesn't want to get caught up in thinking about what the other person does. He just wants to do his game. Obviously the other approach works good too, everyone is different

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Everyone had some great comments and I'm gonna take it from a different angle without knowing how he's been preparing exactly. Not being sure of Denny's style of training, but I know he has some of the best partners out there. That being said, there's a difference between training with the best and going after each other beyond rolling...and competing against someone that's actually trying to kill you and rip you apart. In our school we have different modes or ways of rolling: flow, submit, and murder. Flow rolling is what everyone thinks it is; work on transitions, new techniques, steady pace, etc. Submit is rolling to submission; whether from a specific position, drilling, for points, or open roll. Murder is where we aggressively go after the submission at a high intensity/competition level...as though your life depended on that submission and God be damned if you get submitted.

The main difference between the sub roll and the murder roll is the mind set behind it. Other than that, they are the same thing and can start from anywhere. The only thing we don't think about during the murder rolls are points...they don't exist when we roll like this. We may start in certain positions, but they will always end in someone being submitted.

I had the pleasure of being there for that match and watching the end less than a few feet away...it was intense! Thanks to Justin, Denny, and Master Eddie for coming out and showing support for Midwest Submission Challenge in a high level match!!! A huge thanks to Derek for reppin 10P and pushing sub only by putting out what seems like a tournament a weekend across the Midwest! If you haven't been to one, come out to not only show support for 10P and sub only, but to experience a phenomenally executed tournament.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Gain weight and don't play 1/4 guard
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Id just go out there grab'm by the dick and dump'm on his ayess. I don't see what the problem is.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Id just go out there grab'm by the dick and dump'm on his ayess. I don't see what the problem is.
    Boom done!
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10Th Planet Jiu Jitsu San Francisco
    Love it keep dropping knowledge getting a lot of cool ideas. Love the nibiru forum interactive learning at its finest

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Rafa Mendes would be the best choice to study. Rafa has submitted rader without the gi at ADCC '09 and '11, both inside of 2 minutes. He's also done the same twice in the gi. Every time Rafa pulls a DLR or RDLR and inverts through for the sweep. At ADCC 2011 he went straight on an omoplata but every other time was a DLR or RDLR.

Cobrinha has also had a lot of success twice without the gi with the RDLR/Spiral. The 2011 No Gi Worlds is a good example. He just stayed on the RDLR inverting through trying to sweep or get the back and eventually near the end he got on top. Relentless open guard and breaking his base seems to be the only way to get on top of him unless you can take him down, which is arguably harder.

Definitely watch his matches against Rafa at the 2009 and 2011 ADCC and the NoGi Worlds 2011 and 2012 matches with Cobrinha. I'll post the ones that are out there.

I wish I could post the ADCC 2011 match because I think that was the most impressive. Omoplata to the belly down armbar/spiderweb to the back to the RNC. It's nowhere to be found on youtube tho
    No doubt about the 2011 ADCC match. Seriously, one of the single most insanely perfect matches by a fighter imaginable.

Array

School
    10Th Planet Jiu Jitsu San Francisco
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VtzPZjFjqi0

Adding this back into my routine

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    So you feel like he overpowered more than out tek'd you?

I have no valid input, because rader would pass and smash me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast