Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque

Tournament Warm Ups (Physical/Mental)

Yo,

I am doing my 2nd tournament in da Gi in a couple of weeks. Last time I was super nervous and wasn't really in a good mindset and I didn't even bother warming up. There were also no mats to roll around on other than the competition area. What do you guys do before a tournament to warm up, and ease the jitters a bit. Any advice is much appreciated...

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Foam roller

Nice intense warm up. Think about it, when you train, you don't usually start feeling comfortable till the 2nd or 3rd roll. Do some warm ups that will get you breathing heavy and sweating. This will make the muscles warm, easier to stretch as well as relax those nerves a bit.

Above all, relax and have fun. We wouldn't sign up for this shit if we didn't enjoy it, right?

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Usually my warmup routine is this,

1) Use the bathroom (Change into my comp gear in there as well)
    2) Put on a hoodie and track pants to stay warm
    3) Take a quick jog around the area, usually its at a school (Jog the hallways)
    4) Nice stretch with some breath of fire techniques (Thanks Denny!)
    5) Drink half a bottle of water.
    6) Listen to your pump up jams (8 mins prior)
    7) Visualize your match, Put yourself in the worst positions you can think of and get out of them.
    8) Step on the mat and Get after it
    9) Have fun!

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Larsen View Post
    Nice intense warm up. Think about it, when you train, you don't usually start feeling comfortable till the 2nd or 3rd roll. Do some warm ups that will get you breathing heavy and sweating. This will make the muscles warm, easier to stretch as well as relax those nerves a bit.

Above all, relax and have fun. We wouldn't sign up for this shit if we didn't enjoy it, right?
    For me I never liked competing that much so I took a three year break from it, my first tournament back was a couple months ago and I didnt warm up I sucked every match and got bronze.

My next tournament was naga I did a better warm up but was still not fighting normal until my second match, I won gold in that.

There is a tournament tomorrow and I came to the conclusion this advice is correct, even in the gym when Im relaxed I dont hit moves like I should until 4-5 min in.

So I think a heavy warm up so that you go into the first match at 100% is key.

But this will only be my third tournament in 3 years.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Larsen View Post

Thanks man, very true. I was super stiff my first tourney and I paid for it.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    Usually my warmup routine is this,

1) Use the bathroom (Change into my comp gear in there as well)
    2) Put on a hoodie and track pants to stay warm
    3) Take a quick jog around the area, usually its at a school (Jog the hallways)
    4) Nice stretch with some breath of fire techniques (Thanks Denny!)
    5) Drink half a bottle of water.
    6) Listen to your pump up jams (8 mins prior)
    7) Visualize your match, Put yourself in the worst positions you can think of and get out of them.
    8) Step on the mat and Get after it
    9) Have fun!
    Hell yeah, thank you, need to get some jams ready for the tourney, also, you have inspired me to learn the Darce, I saw your tourney footage. Good shit

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    For me I never liked competing that much so I took a three year break from it, my first tournament back was a couple months ago and I didnt warm up I sucked every match and got bronze.

My next tournament was naga I did a better warm up but was still not fighting normal until my second match, I won gold in that.

There is a tournament tomorrow and I came to the conclusion this advice is correct, even in the gym when Im relaxed I dont hit moves like I should until 4-5 min in.

So I think a heavy warm up so that you go into the first match at 100% is key.

But this will only be my third tournament in 3 years.
    Good luck on your Tournament! Thanks for your input.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    Foam roller
    Cool I will look into those, what do you do on em exactly?