Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Chartier View Post
    He threw that fight.
    He should go into show business then cause that dive was played very well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic_jiujitsu View Post
    I dont know. It definitely sounds stupid. And everyone obviously knows the setbacks. But think of all the most elusive fighters and youll start to notice a pattern. Anderson silva, Ali, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Jones, Machida... A lot of the most iconic figures in fighting, seem to have this seemingly huge "flaw" in their style. They all like to drop their hands while striking. (Mayweather usually likes to drop just the front hand, and guard with the other + his shoulder). But regardless of how dumb the idea sounds, there's no denying its working for some of the very top guys. And ironically, its all the ones who seem to be almost impossible to hit. If you can just dodge a few of those first shots. Not only will their punches be slower because theyre exhausting themselves.. But theyre mentally breaking as well. Which will make finishing them much easier when you do decide to. Its like jiujitsu. If you can allow your opponent very dominant positions, and keep defending in a way that makes them think theyll never get you.. It makes it much easier to win once you start your offense. (See Glover or Ryron as good examples). Sure its not a great strategy for everyone, but there's no denying that as dumb as it sounds at first... Its working at the top levels for some who choose to use it.
    Personally I believe that some of the top guy choose to do it because many fans (for some reason) love it. I think its more a matter of extremely talented guys getting away with something risky. Isn't that why people like to see it? If you call winning a fight despite unnecessary risk, "working", then I guess it works for some guys. I do think you are mixing guys coming from a style that keeps the hands lower or bad habits with those that are showboating on a couple of these guys. Intimidation is a factor in fighting so is, more importantly not getting K.O.'ed. Any striking coaches telling their guys to drop their hands, square their feet and taunt their opponents?
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    He threw that fight.
    flamer
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Any striking coaches telling their guys to drop their hands, square their feet and taunt their opponents?
    Taunt opponents = no.. Drop a hand.. Yes. My old Boxing instructor was one of those guys who used to drop his hand when he'd fight. (and not to show off/be cocky) And given my height/weight.. he showed me the technique behind it and let me work with it.. and I personally feel much more comfortable/safe with my hand down. Its like a manual metronome. The slower you want it to move, the higher you raise the weight. Its the exact same principal. (Granted, I like the Mayweather approach of keeping one hand up and blocking along with the shoulder, but theres no doubt your head movement is faster when both hands are down). And youll notice, thats not what got Anderson caught. It was his ego/showboating. He was fine until he pretended to get hurt and closed his eyes for a split second. Then after getting tagged again, he dodged the next few by leaning back.. until he couldnt lean anymore.. Thats what happens when you stop using your technique and start fighting with your ego. Hands up or not. However, I still agree with you. I think the showboating is much more common in people with that style.. and i think its because they know itll sell more tickets. And while I agree the chance of getting koed if caught is more likely, the chance of actually getting caught is significantly lower. Not saying its the best idea.. just saying I think theres a method to the madness

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I agree.
    GO SHARKS!

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    He should go into show business then cause that dive was played very well.
    I'm not saying he wasn't knocked out. He certainly was. I think there is more to it, though.
    My dj mixes you might like. Trance/techno etc..."Seismic" mix , "Dirty Bombs" mix,

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I'm not saying he wasn't knocked out. He certainly was. I think there is more to it, though.
    I dont think his heart is in it anymore thats for sure

Array

School
    BJJ India (Professor Rodrigo Teixeira BJJ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I dont think his heart is in it anymore thats for sure
    +1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123