10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morency View Post
    I googled found this.
    Wow, great find!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Not really sure what his true feelings are about the rg but all people who dislike it havnt taken the time to master it. It's simple, if you don't like wrestling odds are you prolly suck at takedowns :-)
    +1

Unfortunately, in bjj too many people are not humble, and they like to dis people who have different ideas. If something doesn't work for you fine, but don't bring down a fellow bjj'er who is trying to evolve one's ability to defend and attach from the bottom (Eddie). Dam bjj politics.

How does this thread keep coming up...

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    I thought that he said that the RG, encourages people to play flat off of their back and that it breeds improper guard work? Or something to that effect. Which is odd, because I can't even work rubber guard until I achieve a broken posture and a proper attack angle... two things which are crucial components to most (if not all?) guard attacks.
    Not long ago someone told me Ryans view's were similar to this, not wanting to be on your back because to him it is a less dominant position.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hall
    " I guess I’d say my approach to the guard has changed drastically. It isn’t to pull some whacky sweep or triangle out of my ass anymore. My whole goal is to just make you off balance to the point that you can’t, for a moment, stop me from standing up—and now I finish from a positional advantage. I feel that’s the truly reliable way to do it."

"People come to me all the time and say, ‘Teach me the inverted guard." I’ll show them if they really want to know, but I generally prefer not to. Instead, I’ll try to sell them on this: learn how to wrestle a little bit, and I’ll show you how to pass. The guard is an important position, but the purpose of the guard is not so that I can triangle you; the purpose of the guard is so that I can get on top. It’s the proper strategic choice, seeking the mechanical advantage."
    Someone told me he is even giving up most of the 50/50 stuff in favor of always dominant position always offensive style play, of course he will still use whatever works in a situation, but his logic seems to be that it is a much more beneficial methodology to avoid guards and try to dominate from more 'offensive' positions with less exposure.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    I have 3 of his Triangle DVD. Good stuff, but what I hate while going through it is his bashing the RG. At one point he bash it so much I just couldn't continue to listen what he had to say about his technique. Then a few minute later in another clip, he did a flying kung fu without any effort. WTF!!???

Ryan thinks that in BJJ and No Gi that space is essential. The ability to have free range of motion with your hips is his style and how he also teaches his half guard. He believes that the rubberguard locks you down. It stops them, as well as your own hips from moving to other angles of attack. Flexibility isn't an issue for him also.

TL;DR: he likes guard with free movement and space. He believes RG locks both people in place.

Source: I've been to his gym and talked to him, his teachers and my own trainers at yamasaki about this

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Different strokes for different folks. His DVDs are amazing in my eyes and I've gained a lot of knowledge from him. If he doesn't like the rubber guard or lockdown half, he doesn't have to use it. I use what works for me and try to understand moves that don't.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Ryan Hall doesn't even follow his own advice/philosophies. Remember his tirade against giving up any position and why top was so much better? Then he went out and played inverted guard only.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Ryan has to sell his own product. Plain and simple.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678