Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    John Frankl Jiu-Jitsu Competition Team

A little help with butterfly guard and sweeps

Recently I got interested in butterfly guard and sweeps.
    I was watching a purple belt in gym sparring with a guy much bigger and stronger than him but he could easily sweep him just by using butterfly guard.
    So I asked him whether he could teach me some of his moves but I don't think he is very reluctant about it.
    Can anybody out there help me with butterfly guard and sweeps?
    If you can recommend me some videos that would be very helpful too.
    Helpful tips are much appreciated!

Array

School
    Rock ministries of philadelphia/ 10th planet Philly hotbox
    look up jean jacques 1, 2 and stick shift to start, high percentage sweeps from the cocoon(butterfly)

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Look under the technique guide thread. The JJ series of sweep techniques is the most effective from my experience and most others will agree. Also, Louis Ho's street sweep from the most recent MTS is money. Good luck man!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonic View Post
    Recently I got interested in butterfly guard and sweeps.
    I was watching a purple belt in gym sparring with a guy much bigger and stronger than him but he could easily sweep him just by using butterfly guard.
    So I asked him whether he could teach me some of his moves but I don't think he is very reluctant about it.
    Can anybody out there help me with butterfly guard and sweeps?
    If you can recommend me some videos that would be very helpful too.
    Helpful tips are much appreciated!
    I've been killing it with the butterfly guard lately. I'm lanky for my weight class so I have no idea why I resisted it for so long. Double under hooks body lock. Soooo good. Once I hit brown belt status that's for sure one of the techniques i'll be video taping.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonrivello View Post
    look up jean jacques 1, 2 and stick shift to start, high percentage sweeps from the cocoon(butterfly)
    these are great, check out zogs a week in roc videos , he goes over the jj sweep in one of them .its a great sweep and also sets up triangles and the reaper to leg locks. just remember when hitting the jj sweep to drive off the planted foot and to not fall to your back, fall to your side

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    You need to get good at all variations of the hook sweep, jj sweep, 2 on 1, armdrag, clubbing hook sweep, guillotine hook sweep... ect ect that way what ever grip you land you can sweep you dont have to grip fight for a specific variation.

then get good at aspects of butterfly like using your hooks to move your opponent backwards to sit back up after your posture is smashed.

And the hook lift for switching to 1 leg xguard and reg xguard

Different hook sweeps happen at different angles, like a clubbing hook sweep your opponent goes pretty much straight sideways but a J.J sweep he goes forward and sideways a 2 on 1 they tend to go backwards and to the side.

You can take the back off of 2 on 1 and armdrag hook sweeps, you can take a crucifix off a guillotine hook sweep or a double leg off a failed armdrag hook sweep

Sweeping larger opponents with the hook sweep made me fall in love with BJJ when I was smaller, i always liked having someone use all there strength to stop a sweep and then I hip escape and win the sweep.

Watch Marcelo Garcia he got some crazy hook sweeps, the crazy variations i just talked about can all be found on his website
    Last edited by Ryan Brick; 08-06-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Robson Moura has a killer butterfly guard instructional. It's Gi, but the principles are money. Check it out.
    Last edited by Brandon Mccaghren; 08-06-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Marcelo Garcia x-guard DVD has some good butterfly stuff

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    You need to get good at all variations of the hook sweep, jj sweep, 2 on 1, armdrag, clubbing hook sweep, guillotine hook sweep... ect ect that way what ever grip you land you can sweep you dont have to grip fight for a specific variation.

then get good at aspects of butterfly like using your hooks to move your opponent backwards to sit back up after your posture is smashed.

Different hook sweeps happen at different angles, like a clubbing hook sweep your opponent goes pretty much straight sideways but a J.J sweep he goes forward and sideways a 2 on 1 they tend to go backwards and to the side.

You can take the back off of 2 on 1 and armdrag hook sweeps, you can take a crucifix off a guillotine hook sweep or a double leg off a failed armdrag hook sweep

Sweeping larger opponents with the hook sweep made me fall in love with BJJ when I was smaller, i always liked having someone use all there strength to stop a sweep and then I hip escape and win the sweep.

Watch Marcelo Garcia he got some crazy hook sweeps, the crazy variations i just talked about can all be found on his website
    +1

Very good answer. Ryan Brick understands butterfly guard.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post

Arm in guillotine x hook sweep x Pearl Harbor. This has been money. Thank you for posting that transish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast