Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Portland

Question on tournament rakings.

So in our local Oregon Open the gi divisions are, of course, easy to figure out. Just look at your belt. That's where you belong. In the no-gi however it breaks down as follows..

Beginner - Less than 18 months of training in submission wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, and/or wrestling
    Intermediate - 18 to 36 months experience
    Advanced - 3 years or more experience

I'm just at 18 months and I am not what I would call a "quick study" and it seems nuts that at 3 years and over its just all comers. Thoughts?
    My dj mixes you might like. Trance/techno etc..."Seismic" mix , "Dirty Bombs" mix,

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    so the thing is that beginner is the most sandbagged division by far. You will get wrestlers and guys that just haven't been promoted or are straight sandbagging hard. If your right at 18 months you will still have less experience than a lot of guys in beginner (if its anything like naga)

What does Nathan Orchard think?

Good luck!

Array

School
    In my mind
    I've got so many stripes on my gold fringed black belt that I had to order belt extenders. I really don't have any advice other than do the damned thing regardless of division. With only four years experience in nogi I constantly get matched against purple and brown belt monsters. Every match is a learning experience though. Now I'm getting submission only matches every Sunday. Every heavyweight so far has been half my age and had nice records in the cage. I still say the same thing...You might submit me but I'm going to learn from it. Next time you won't like it :-)

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Advanced isn't built to be fair at smaller tournaments, it's built with the widest margin because it tends to be the smallest division

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Go for intermediate. I agree with Aaron, beginner is the most sandbagged division. If you go in intermediate, the chances of you going against someone close to your skill level is more probable as nuts as that may sound. 10 years wrestlers still go in Beginner. I've seen it. Be glad you have a choice in weight and division. Some of us aren't so lucky!
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Yeah although the Advanced division is so wide open there tends to be very few competitors. I had 2 other people in my division last time. Oregon Open should have some pretty big divisions though.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Your coach should have some insight into the competition scene in your area. If it works anything like the ones here, I would just go intermediate if I was you. Step up and test yourself. Worrying about guys sandbagging is only going to leave you disappointed. Most people sandbagging will be in beginner.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    I think intermediate is the most sandbagged. It might be even tougher than advanced sometimes. Intermediate is where all the crazy tough college wrestlers go. They are the toughest to submit and they have crazy good control and position but don't always have the biggest arsenal of submissions which is why I think they go intermediate . and usually intermediate is more stacked because people don't wanna step up and go advanced. obviously advanced can't be sandbagged. Gary you are right on the cusp of intermediate but considering this is your first tourney there is nothing at all wrong with beginner.
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Portland Moon Head/Instructor
    My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/monzon421
    Use the discount code DEADORCHARD at Phalanxfc.com to get %15 off any purchase.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan orchard View Post
    I think intermediate is the most sandbagged. It might be even tougher than advanced sometimes. Intermediate is where all the crazy tough college wrestlers go. They are the toughest to submit and they have crazy good control and position but don't always have the biggest arsenal of submissions which is why I think they go intermediate . and usually intermediate is more stacked because people don't wanna step up and go advanced. obviously advanced can't be sandbagged. Gary you are right on the cusp of intermediate but considering this is your first tourney there is nothing at all wrong with beginner.
    I know a few Judo guys who do the same thing
    Facebook, Twitter check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Pheonix00789
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Pheonix_00789
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/phoenix_00789

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Cant wait for the Open! See you guys there
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast