Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Revolution Martial Arts

Henderon Vs. Pettis....Proof that JJ is anyone's game?

After watching the Henderson Vs Pettis fight...It provoked some thoughts regarding BJJ/Submission Wrestling...Pettis (a purple belt) submits Henderson (a black belt) with an armbar from guard a pretty straight forward and almost basic armbar....Does this prompt that in your JJ game you should always focus on the basics and the fundamentals?

Sam Sales

Pettis may be a purple belt but he isn't really a purple belt IMO. He has been training jiu jitsu/no gi for 8 years or so, and at a pro athlete level (not just your average joe that trains 2 maybe 3 times per week). That mofo is a black belt or at least very close to it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    This happens all the time. Black gets tapped by purple in the cage. I could write a novel on this but I'm keeping it semi-short.

First: BJJ black belt = ????? Nogi. Bjj purple = ???? Nogi. It depends on how their game translates. If your a black belt specializing in collar chokes and spider guard, probably doesn't translate to nogi too well. If your a purple belt specializing in arm drags and the rnc/armbar combo from the back, you might have a great nogi game.

Second: There is a thing that happens when a color belt wins a UFC title belt. Even if his whole careers success comes from striking, the jjiujitsu coach feels the need to put a black belt on them.. I don't understand this.. It kinda makes me sick. Now, I'm a fan of Ben Henderson. But does he have black belt nogi skills? No. Is he a legit top 5 fighter at 155 ? yes. But what about that gets him a black belt? I would demote him... Sorry. But nobody above blue lets that happen. He made like 30 mistakes before and during that armbar. Looked like his first time being in one.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    He isn't actually a purple. He said in the post fight pressed he isn't ranked. Even if he was, 8 years, of probably one on one, puts him pretty high up. Belts don't really mean as much as the majority think they do. That's for sure.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    This happens all the time. Black gets tapped by purple in the cage. I could write a novel on this but I'm keeping it semi-short.

First: BJJ black belt = ????? Nogi. Bjj purple = ???? Nogi. It depends on how their game translates. If your a black belt specializing in collar chokes and spider guard, probably doesn't translate to nogi too well. If your a purple belt specializing in arm drags and the rnc/armbar combo from the back, you might have a great nogi game.

Second: There is a thing that happens when a color belt wins a UFC title belt. Even if his whole careers success comes from striking, the jjiujitsu coach feels the need to put a black belt on them.. I don't understand this.. It kinda makes me sick. Now, I'm a fan of Ben Henderson. But does he have black belt nogi skills? No. Is he a legit top 5 fighter at 155 ? yes. But what about that gets him a black belt? I would demote him... Sorry. But nobody above blue lets that happen. He made like 30 mistakes before and during that armbar. Looked like his first time being in one.
    Also, he got his black belt after winning the Ibjjf worlds at brown

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Also, he got his black belt after winning the Ibjjf worlds at brown
    yeah im not a fan of henderson by any means, but his jits is legit. i think it was after the frankie edgar fight 2 the the next monday he was in a jits competition, something reasonably high up and he got second place. he competes quite a bit in jiu jitsu and places often in his rankings. he may not be frank mir level jiu jitsu but without knowing him id say he is worthy of a black belt.

isnt there the saying, the journey is just beginning when you get your bb. ? he got caught, in an mma fight. it happens. i think no matter what happned though, pettis wouldve gotten him somehow.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center

Jesus Dude.

You kinda make me sick.

Array

School

We all make mistakes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    The gloves can make it very hard to get out of an armbar sometimes. Too bad. I remember the first time Henderson fought Cowboy Cerrone, Cowboy could not submit him. No matter how slick the transition or how tight the submission. Pettis just has his number.

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Patten View Post
    The gloves can make it very hard to get out of an armbar sometimes. Too bad. I remember the first time Henderson fought Cowboy Cerrone, Cowboy could not submit him. No matter how slick the transition or how tight the submission. Pettis just has his number.
    I agree with this Pettis has his number. Pettits lost to Clay G. In the UFC,
    some match up better against certain types and style for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast