Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Array

School
    None
    I’ll try an argument just for fun. I need a break from work:

Skill level authenticated by an authority recognized as capable of bestowing said level is the issue at hand. The rank is non-material. How it is communicated to outside parties is irrelevant. It is an arbitrary form agreed upon by a majority. A belt, stripes on an arm, colored shoulder ropes, colored rash guard…all arbitrary. An E-9 in the American Navy has a different uniform and rank insignia than the Army E-9. They likely practice similar but different disciplines and the issuing lineage differs considerably. Regardless, anyone in the military knows that rank deserves respect. It was earned and recognized and all can agree that it was not easy to attain.

A black (white, blue, purple, brown) belt isn’t what you wear. It is not a material thing that you tie on to yourself. It is who you are and it represents someone else’s opinion of where you are in your journey based on a criteria that they are skilled enough to determine. It is the authenticated representation of the skill level you attained. Hopefully the issuer has high standards. Physical form is irrelevant A master’s degree issued by a small private traditional liberal arts college is the same as a master’s degree issued by a progressive large state university. One might produce a better product than the other but that might be an individual thing. Either way, it is a master’s…It gets you in the door. What you do with it from there is entirely up to you. Martial arts rank is the same. It gets you registered into a certain group at a competition. What you do with it from there is entirely up to you. You’ll be able to hang at the level or you won’t.

Your style of kung fu is no match for my style of kung fu. My lineage is bigger than your lineage. My belt is more valid than your belt. It is all insecurity based. Fitness and strength & conditioning do the same nonsense. JJ, like any sport, isn’t really about your battle against an opponent. It is all a battle against yourself. Can I push to myself to learn more? Can I figure out how to get myself to do what I need to do to best the other person attempting to push themselves while remaining within the agreed upon rules? Can I achieve a personal best? Can I surpass the standards that my discipline uses to determine levels and get promoted through hard work and dedication? Can I make myself believe when I have doubts? Can I act rather than hesitate? Opponents change but it is still you vs. you and you don’t care what your rank is or how you wear it.

If someone is a fraud, at the end of the day, they are only shorting themselves. It doesn’t harm me in any way and they will be found out sooner or later.

It is arbitrary but it sure is nice to be recognized by people you agree with and respect.

Don’t worry about what someone else has or claims. Keep your eyes fixed on your own journey.
    -Bob

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I feel like this guy is probably pretty cool but he made a stupid video while he was emotional and without getting other views first, maybe stated things more strongly than he actually feels about them. IDK. Hardest thing to do can be admitting you're wrong after strongly stating something, jiujitsu should help with that though.

I dont believe that "self ranking" is a legit issue in the no-gi community (certainly not anymore than gi), obviously some tournament make you choose between "lying" about rank or sandbagging but he cant be counting that?
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789