Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami

My Guillotine Woes from Half Guard

Half guard has been my go to game for some time now. My lockdown is tight as shit (it really aggravates most guys I roll with), my whip ups are nice and strong, and I can pull off Old Schools and Electric Chairs pretty well (even Apollo Arm Triangles). But the problem is that I can only do well from half when my opponents posture is broken. When it is broken I can use the lockdown to stretch and the whip up to off-base them and keep my neck out of choking range. My training partners have figured this out though and immediately posture up once I pull half guard, basically daring me to come up and meet them. On inexperienced guys that's no problem; I'll still sweep 'em all day. But against the more savvy, I literally get guillotined about 90% of the time, and overall, this is where I get submitted about 60% of the time. I really need suggestions about how to either avoid the guillotine or how to break their posture while maintaining the lockdown because I'm currently training for a NAGA tourny and am desperately counting on my half guard game.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Half guard has been my go to game for some time now. My lockdown is tight as shit (it really aggravates most guys I roll with), my whip ups are nice and strong, and I can pull off Old Schools and Electric Chairs pretty well (even Apollo Arm Triangles). But the problem is that I can only do well from half when my opponents posture is broken. When it is broken I can use the lockdown to stretch and the whip up to off-base them and keep my neck out of choking range. My training partners have figured this out though and immediately posture up once I pull half guard, basically daring me to come up and meet them. On inexperienced guys that's no problem; I'll still sweep 'em all day. But against the more savvy, I literally get guillotined about 90% of the time, and overall, this is where I get submitted about 60% of the time. I really need suggestions about how to either avoid the guillotine or how to break their posture while maintaining the lockdown because I'm currently training for a NAGA tourny and am desperately counting on my half guard game.
    Big neck, big posture. If they are attacking your neck there is a strong possibility that they are compromising their base to do so. Threaten his base, get your hand in to defend the choke and reset the position.

Do you use the dog fight?

Also, if they're posturing and pulling away from you they should be leaving a pretty big space for you to swing under to the deep half.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Big neck, big posture. If they are attacking your neck there is a strong possibility that they are compromising their base to do so. Threaten his base, get your hand in to defend the choke and reset the position.

Also, if they're posturing and pulling away from you they should be leaving a pretty big space for you to swing under to the deep half.

When I was at the Melbourne seminar Eddie showed us a defence for a guillotine from half. Defend the choke first and.tuck tour chin down and then with yoit right aemail grab their elbow and with tour left arm grab under their shoulder and control the shouorder or head then whip up and twist while pushing you legs away and it taps them. Sorry its a terrible explanation. Maybe someone else.can explain it better. I'm on my phone atm and can't even.see what I'm wwriting herel

Eddie.did Warn dint do it against anyone wwith 20 pounds or mor. On you they can power out which is dangerou for.you but it's a legit moves

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    I recommend watching MTS 55 & 56. Eddie goes over a lot of technique from the lockdown and 1/4 guard a lot of which will prevent guillotines. definately worth watching!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post

As I'm thinking about your comment about deep half, and my current patterns when in half guard, I'm thinking that is most likely better to get under the opponent. Now that I think about it, I believe I have been wrapping up around the torso.

I would really like to know more about the seminar stuff too if you get a chance to real me.

I'm definitely going to be studying up on this. Need my A game ready!

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    I bait them to guillotine me and hit the mechanic. Works great unless they are really huge!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    To defend the guillotine or darce, shake hands.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    lol Issac, that was difficult to read. But I got through it.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    To defend the guillotine or darce, shake hands.
    This is solid. If they grab my neck from here, I will usually just grab the old school, sweep em, pass em, and shut the guillotine down from top side or Von flu. It's super high percentage for me. Brandon's point about their base is big.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    Shoulder shrug and dig your chin in to defend the guillotine in half-guard while your hands are busy setting up a sweep or submission . It takes a while to get used to but if you can get perfect double unders, your head is safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast