Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armbar defense

Victor Webster showed me something cool last week. He said he learned the grip from Gene Lebell. It's like a gable grip, but you put one of your thumbs between your index and middle finger. To make it a bit more complicated, this only braces you one way, so if your opponent is armbarring your right arm, you put your left thumb inbetween your right index/middle finger (and vise versa if your left arm bar was being attacked.
    It's a good alternative to the figure four, and allows you to hold on longer and try to drive your elbow to the mat

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    my favourite defense which i saw on submissions 101 originally i think, something like the genie? instead of gable gripping, put the armbarred arm on other arms bicep and tuck your other arm under their leg which is on your neck, this is a really strong position but the arm crush is there for them. thats when u just either try to posture up (not my favourite choice) or you lay youre hand flat against your chest and wait from them to pull it out of the armcrush but when theres enough room you grab the wrist and thats when you posture up. if they know what theyre doing, it goes straight into a triangle, so you have to move quick but ive always preferred defending a triangle against a armbar from mount or an armcrush.

im small and i defend them against people with 50 pounds on me easy enough with this.

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    Another option to try out. Starts at 7:20

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    I'd be happy to give my back to get out spiderweb. I find it much easier to escape a back attack. When they got that leg and have a good arm crush you're funked!

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    I want to start adding my own submission / dead zone escapes to the warm ups, in addition to all the other bad ass warm ups we do. I think its super important to rep that like crazy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12