Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Array

School
    10th Planet Clare Hot Box
    Watch and use the HQ warm up videos I was pleased how well they correlated to what we are doing in class

Array

School
    cobra kai
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    No offense: but hear me out. Not all training is positive. Rolling with your buddies outside a school (with no formal training) can build bad habits. Right now very early in your career is a super important time. Your developing your fundamentals developing instincts , learning basics of base balance mat awareness. no offense to your buddies but rolling with them will probably hold you back more than help you progress. really should either just rep and drill at home, or do nothing at all. Rolling with people with no instruction will give false feedback.. You can end up develop your go-to submissions and go-to escapes, just to go to class and realize those aren't even real moves that really work. I'm only telling you this because I've seen it happen too many times.
    it sounds like josh and his friends are having a high level version of rough housing. which in my opinion can be beneficial, for example knowing how to balance your body, developing spatial awareness, knowing your physical limitations.... i'd say that's better than doing nothing.

josh, one of the most fundamental ideas behind bjj is: position before submission. so if i were you, before working rubber guard stuff, try working on getting better positions. start off on your back and try to work your way to mount or side mount. then work on guard passes. start off in a weaker position intentionally. it will help you out in the long run.

having said that, i think the lockdown is a good place to start. i started with the lockdown in order to learn half guard sweeps. then i moved onto guard sweeps, and escaping mounts. i tend to drill the same few things in class until i confidently catch guys in class with it at will.

Array

School
    10th Planet Clare Hot Box
    Been liking the input on this thread helping me formulate a plan to continue/begin to progress. I'm coming to realize that class time as good as it is, isn't enough. May sound crazy but I spent 45 min last night just going through the 1st 3 tech. Of the 1st warm up video

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234