Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

does anybody have the dirt on Johny Hendrick's jiu jitsu?

I know he has trained with Marc Laimon for a long time, does he pose a submission threat to GSP?

I see he has one submission by D'arce. I would imagine he would be really dangerous from a front headlock position or probably any top position.

Does he have game off his back?

Is he ranked in BJJ?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ
    Currently ranked a Blue Belt...... but an elite level wrestler in the UFC, probably knows a choke or two

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickdawson View Post
    Currently ranked a Blue Belt...... but an elite level wrestler in the UFC, probably knows a choke or two
    Yeah I feel like those rankings are skewed. Lots of BJJ coaches won't rank you if you don't spend some of your time in the gi. I recall one story where there was a guy who only came to no gi and was a white belt, and the instructor said "That guy would be a purple belt if he trained in the gi." Silly if you ask me.

But yeah. He may be a "blue belt" but I have a feeling it might be more like purple. Then again, who knows. He may have a terrible guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Im very excited to see if more layers of hendricks game are displayed against GSP. If hendricks wins i hope it is with a well rounded display of skills not by hunting for the KO punch. I can see strong dudes try to KO each other outside the bar or watch elk fight or something.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Marc only ranks in the gi, Johny never does gi. He has beaten blackbelts in grappling competitions and is a beast on the ground. I've seen him have some awesome rolls with Vinnie.

I thin it will be irrelevant because GSP won't be able to hold him

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Marc only ranks in the gi, Johny never does gi. He has beaten blackbelts in grappling competitions and is a beast on the ground. I've seen him have some awesome rolls with Vinnie.

I thin it will be irrelevant because GSP won't be able to hold him
    Dude thanks! That's crazy to hear, I'm really excited for this fight, seems like it is a great match up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Interesting playful wrestling with him and Marcelo.

I don't think GSP is gonna be able to control Johnny Hendricks for long on the ground, although GSP is undoubtedly higher level in a Jiu Jitsu sense.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Im very excited to see if more layers of hendricks game are displayed against GSP. If hendricks wins i hope it is with a well rounded display of skills not by hunting for the KO punch. I can see strong dudes try to KO each other outside the bar or watch elk fight or something.
    I don't see anything wrong with this. Jacare is doing the same thing so strong and confident in their grappling that they don't feel vulnerable teeing off. Their timing and accuracy is on point too. They have refined technical haymaker striking styles. They would bat cleanup where Gsp or Condit would hit for average. There is noway to accidentally ko Gsp with a lucky punch.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I've got concerns about Hendricks guard and working off his back, there's something to be said about how hard it is to develop a guard when you've wrestled your whole life where it's "don't be on ur BACK!!" save for Jake Shields, he's obv got a nasty guard. His shorter legs will def make it more work to try to sweep George if he gets the takedown.

GSP can win by decision or GnP TKO, Hendricks has to win by either KO or TKO. I'm still torn which way to place the money on this.....

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    He won't try to sweep or submit GSP from his guard. He will just stand up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast