Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by James O'Brien II View Post
    NoGi

The sweep works fine for me until it comes to establishing the top position.

Typically, I toss my opponent with my grips, then during the sweep I lose my grips, thus creating a scramble where no one has a significant advantage.

My thoughts with these results have always been: At least I'm stopping the pass
    yeah i suppose a good arm drag would be pretty effective, hard to imagine it working with someone that slices with a lot of pressure but i definitely take your word for it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Nah, spiral is a huge tool for any open guard player, and very applicable for MMA or even just self defense. Ricardo de la riva made the dlr guard for vale Tudo. If you play spiral correctly, it answers a lot of huge problems guys with good pressure passing present.
    I dont remember ever seeing it used in mma? I did see olivera(sp) do a regular dlr sweep, kind of. I could see that with no stomps allowed you could do it if you were really fast and didn't stay there. I dont know how to keep from getting punched? Any videos out there? googles not helping me.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    I dont remember ever seeing it used in mma? I did see olivera(sp) do a regular dlr sweep, kind of. I could see that with no stomps allowed you could do it if you were really fast and didn't stay there. I dont know how to keep from getting punched? Any videos out there? googles not helping me.
    De LA riva made an instructional on the DLR guard. Its way old. I'm trying to remember what it was called. Anyways, its for vale tudo. I use those guards all the time. I also teach them to my mma guys. When someone is standing over you throwing punches, being quick with those guards can save you.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore

Here is an excerpt from the video I was referencing. The chubby guy talking is Marcelo grosso. One of de LA Rivas top black belts. He has an affiliate about 2 hours from me ran by two of his black belts. The skinnier guy is actually Ricardo de LA riva.

You would have to find the whole video somewhere. I got it from a torrent site a long time ago. It shows a ton of real life and mma applications for the dlrg.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts - 10th Planet Peterborough/Troop BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    anybody else here know Ostap?

the last time i rolled with him was earlier this year. wicked good. someone to really watch out for in the next couple of years.
    I guess its unfair because I'm also from Ontario but yeappp. Good dude, awesome game. Never had a chance to roll with him sadly, but did a seminar on bolos which he and Darson ran to support their trip to a major and he was an awesome instructor. I'm not sure many people know who he is on here but his resume speaks for itself:
    2013 World Bronze Medalist
    2013 Pan Am Silver Medalist
    2013 European Gold Medalist
    2012 World Bronze Medalist
    2011 Nogi Pan Am Silver Medalist

He's awesome to watch compete and is one of the elite active competitors in from the Greater Toronto Area along with guys like Darson Hemmings, Thomas Beach, Alessandro Roman, &Arther Zuka. Can't wait to see him fight at brown belt!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Spiral and dlr are crazy legit, that's why they are included in the 10p warm ups. For Mma spiral and dlr are crucial for those scenarios when your opponent has superior wrestling than you but he's afraid to strike with you and he's also afraid to grapple on the ground with you, so he takes you down and stands over you throwing big looping punches. This position I call "purgatory". Spiral and dlr is vital in this situation. Jake Rosholt put Matt Horwich in purgatory in their rematch, Matt didn't have his spiral or dlr together at that point. But he does now. No doubt a lot of his future opponents will try to do the same thing Rosholt did to him
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    RDLR/Spiral is great!

If they posture up I like to go for the tripod sweep, If they pressure forward I like to transition to the mini stomp. It's also an effective open guard for mma because you can control the distance and avoid punches.

http://thejiujitsulab.wordpress.com/...se-de-la-riva/

This is the best guide I've found for the position, it's for gi but most of the techniques work the same no-gi

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Spiral and dlr are crazy legit, that's why they are included in the 10p warm ups. For Mma spiral and dlr are crucial for those scenarios when your opponent has superior wrestling than you but he's afraid to strike with you and he's also afraid to grapple on the ground with you, so he takes you down and stands over you throwing big looping punches. This position I call "purgatory". Spiral and dlr is vital in this situation. Jake Rosholt put Matt Horwich in purgatory in their rematch, Matt didn't have his spiral or dlr together at that point. But he does now. No doubt a lot of his future opponents will try to do the same thing Rosholt did to him
    I see. I couldn't think of the situation that you would want to use it in. This makes sense. Unfortunately for me a lot of the warm-ups require a partner. I had a friends that was starting to do 10th planet with me but he just moved back to portland. I am still having a hard time seeing how you stop punches when they collapse down onto you, like the top picture here,

The only sweep i really knew about from dlr was the tripod and i didn't know the name until Aaron C posted it here. In a street fight where you can kick people on the ground someone could stomp your face? like in the second pic on the link posted above, thats jaw stompin time, right?

Wish i could play around with this, the only guy that tried it with me was kinda small and skinny, for all I know he sucked at it too. Too bad no one at my gym does this stuff, we dont really have straight-up jiujitsu guys. My coach does do x-guard stuff sometimes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C View Post
    RDLR/Spiral is great!

If they posture up I like to go for the tripod sweep, If they pressure forward I like to transition to the mini stomp. It's also an effective open guard for mma because you can control the distance and avoid punches.

This is the best guide I've found for the position, it's for gi but most of the techniques work the same no-gi
    bookmarked

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Thanks for the videos!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast