Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores

After Blue Belt Funk/Plateau/Burnout

Did any of y'all have this and what did you did to get out of it, or avoiding hitting it?

I haven't hit a plateau or anything, I've tried to pick up the pace and refocus since I got my blue belt two weeks ago, but I've seen people leave/quit after they get their blue belt, or just get in a funk. I don't wanna be that blue belt. I've got a drilling partner & we just started drilling for 30 minutes before class, on stuff we're already good at and after this next tournament more of where we're weak. I just finished reading this 30 Day Protocol book so that's why I decided to do that.

But...I want to know how everyone else dealt with it or powered through it. I would rather avoid the situation entirely if possible.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    Gracie KY
    Uhhh yes! (blue belt in the gi, but the psychology is the same.)

Actually I started doing no-gi to challenge myself in new ways, found it very difficult to implement my closed guard gi game and so picked up a copy of mastering the rubber guard, which kick-startred a revolution. I also switched schools from a recreational academy to a competitive academy. Fwiw...

Just keep training. It will all fall into place

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    I've never stopped training, but my diet definitely fell off. After my comp this weekend, its back to the diet and back down in weight lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Just keep going harder and harder in the gym, compete in everything you can and eventually shit wil fall into place. The other that can happen in a smaller school(not sure the size of your guys) everybody is progressing together including the instructor so it can be hard to see progress.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    I actually got sick right after I got my blue and was off the mats for a month (between work and school it's already hard to make it in). But since then I have been right on track back to learning and getting tapped. Something new for me is to do the fundamentals as much as possible and help new people with the basics while reinforcing my knowledge.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Same as above, try to change the way you think about progress in BJJ from achieving belt ranks to more of an endless ongoing process. Something fluid and developing. Yes, it feels great to get the recognition of a belt, but you must know internally that a belt only means as much as you rep it. I have rolled all over purple and brown belts who slowed down and stopped developing and been crushed by hungry hungry blue belts. What I know is that we are all on a journey and the journey never ends. When I get my black belt some day, I will keep going. I have heard many people say that black belt is only the beginning. The more you stay on the grind the farther you will go and the faster you will get there.

Nathan and I were talking yesterday about the difference between the "two tracks of BJJ" i.e., the people who grind hard and are hungry to advance, and the people who see BJJ as a hobby/passtime and are happy just to go to class and roll a bit. Nothing wrong with either way, some people aren't built for competition, some people dont like aggression, either way, whats important is to own your path. Recognize what you want, where you want to be and what it takes to get there.

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    I have been on and off since I got by blue based on the increase in skill at comps. Here when you hit blue is when it starts to get serious. I get the same girls at a lot of tournaments and some have had their blue longer than I've been training. This past weekend I even got thrown in expert and although I thought I didn't do well since I lost on points, my coaches and teammates said I did great considering she was a pro MMA fighter and that my guard recovery was on point.

It helps to have supportive teammates who help you see your improvement and progress even if you can't. I think the reason a lot of people quit is because they aren't the best of their belt anymore like they may have been as a white. I have ever really been challenged with sports or school so jiu jitsu is very humbling and shows me it takes hard work to understand. I love it and do not plan on stopping!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    I got my blue belt almost a year ago, but I have been battling injuries since then that put me in a funk from time to time. I have a harder time keeping my overall health and fitness under control if I don't have a competition lined up. I last competed in August and have only been able to train for a few weeks since then due to injury, so I'm struggling a little bit to stay motivated right now while I can't be on the mats.

Some days I can hold my own with guys that used to smash me, and then next day I struggle with a guy that I usually don't struggle with. It's just all part of the journey to me. I still have fun regardless of how things go.

I just try to focus on the journey and the big picture like a few others have said. In the grand scheme of things, hitting little plateau's here and there is nothing. Just keep pushing.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    From what I've seen, you have nothing to worry about.

The one thing I hear often when one 'platues' or gets 'burnt out', is to pull back and take a break. I disagree. Keep showing up, just regulate you're intensity level. If you feel good, train hard. If you feel bad, stretch, coach, light drill, talk tech.. but hands down consistency and injury management are the keys to longevity and success. The only time you should take a break is if you are truly injured when a high level of jj is your goal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast