Thread: Ibjjf scandal?

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago

Ibjjf scandal?

Story here: http://www.bjjee.com/articles/ibjjf-...affickers-etc/

Full length writeup and supporting research here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122202
    Also discusses how they extort signup fees, rig matches with extreme favortism of the teams related to the owners, and other things...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....2183601&page=1
    The authors original article describing the history and foundation of the IBJJF...

All worth reading.

Hang on, I thought BJJ was fixed to favour Brizilians... now it was the US fixing things all the time?

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Its always the democratic American agenda behind world issues.

More importantly, what does Rose Gracie think? I want to improve the No Gi Submission only landscape for competition and I am interested in knowing what Rose's philosophy is when it comes to modelling her business compared to IBJJF. Not the rules, but the business agenda itself. This year has been eye opening for me as far as being exposed to the uglier side of the Martial Arts Business. I mean just the whole lloyd pervin thing was fucked. I want to know how 10th Planet and The Nogi Worlds, for example, move forward without becoming part of a bullshido attack. I feel like we sway towards the fairer and less egotistical side of BJJ. Thats part of what I love about our system. I hope competitions like Roses and schools like 10th Planets, benefit from the shift in fairness both in business and sport. I am spooked by IBJJF. I would rather win medals and represent respectable organizations. What are those organizations?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    WHOA.

I actually read all of that. I hope it busts up the IBJJF and helps begin the establishment of a legitimate federation and internationally recognized governing body.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    As soon as there is a governing body and $ there will be corruption. Believe that. I don't think it has to do with america or democracy (both corrupt). Unfortunately I believe it is in our nature. This doesn't surprise me. Someone, somewhere is gonna pull the string if they see it danglin..

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    As soon as there is a governing body and $ there will be corruption. Believe that. I don't think it has to do with america or democracy (both corrupt). Unfortunately I believe it is in our nature. This doesn't surprise me. Someone, somewhere is gonna pull the string if they see it danglin..
    There is already corruption.

At least if there is an actual confederation of sorts, it will need to be corruption from multiple high ranking "officials" rather than the corruption of only the top figures within 1 organization and academy. More people involved means more opportunities for whistle blowers, too.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Was anyone really surprised it was entirely for profit. The Black Belt/Brown Belt registration things always seemed fishy, The Member cards for kids. The IBJJF in my opinion had never been a governing body for Jiu Jitsu, but it was a tournament with high registration prices and stupid redtape and rules. Having competed in the IBJJF, I don't mind the rules, I don't mind the silly bullshit, because I know what I'm getting into. I am surprised how much corruption there is, but you cant be surprised by that either. Unfortunately the best in the world still gather there for Worlds, Pans, Euros, and In order to be recognized as one of the best you have to consistently compete against the best. It's a shitty thing, but its reality. I wish Gracie Nationals, and Gracie Worlds, ISOF would burst onto the scene and attract the best and maybe even ( I use this loosely) "Poach" from the IBJJF

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by john mejia View Post
    was anyone really surprised it was entirely for profit. The black belt/brown belt registration things always seemed fishy, the member cards for kids. The ibjjf in my opinion had never been a governing body for jiu jitsu, but it was a tournament with high registration prices and stupid redtape and rules. Having competed in the ibjjf, i don't mind the rules, i don't mind the silly bullshit, because i know what i'm getting into. I am surprised how much corruption there is, but you cant be surprised by that either. Unfortunately the best in the world still gather there for worlds, pans, euros, and in order to be recognized as one of the best you have to consistently compete against the best. It's a shitty thing, but its reality. I wish gracie nationals, and gracie worlds, isof would burst onto the scene and attract the best and maybe even ( i use this loosely) "poach" from the ibjjf
    isof = ?

The rule set is the real scandal.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin
    I competed in the Gi Pan ams twice Before I started 10th Planet. The second time in 2010 my coach bought me a new Gi for the tournament. I flew out to L.A. to compete and when my division was called they measured my Gi and said it didnt meet specifications that I had 20 min to get a new Gi or I would be DQ. I only had two guys on my team near me at the time one was a foot taller than me and the other was a foot shorter than me so I couldnt borrow their Gis. I ended up buying a Gi for $140. It was the only one any of the venders had in my size. After I competed I called my coach and told him what happened. He told me he would call the manufacturer and find out what the problem was because they told him it was Ibjjf approved. Later theat day I saw another one of my teammates with the exact same gi on competing. When he was done I asked him how he competed with his Gi because they wouldnt let me wear mine? He said when our coach called the manufacturer they told him they forgot to pay their sponsor ship fee but would call right away and get it taken care of. So it didnt have anything to do with my Gi not meeting specs it was all about the fkn sponsorship money. I decided then that I would never compete in an IBJJF tournament again

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    isof = ?

The rule set is the real scandal.
    You know what you're getting into when you sign up though. You know being from 10th Planet you might not get your advantage, they might hose you on sweep points.

ISOF = International Submission Only Federation, eddies brand that the Midwest Submission Challenge is continually using.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast