Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

GSP taking break from MMA, vacating title

The rumors about UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre retiring or taking a break floated around for weeks following the French Canadian's tough, tough, tough win over Johny Hendricks last month.

Now, during a conference call with both St-Pierre and UFC president Dana White, it was officially announced that GSP was taking a break from mixed martial arts for an indfefinite period of time, and that he was vacating his title. St-Pierre cited the pressure of 'obsessively' preparing for each opponent.

"15 of my fights were for a world title," sid St-Pierre. "It is a lot of pressure. I decided I need to take time off. I know the UFC is a business they can't wait for my little self. One day when I feel like it I might come back, but right now I need a break. So I vacate my belt."

At every fight you add weight, you add weight you add weight, and at some point for my equilibrium, I have to take a break. I can't go through a camp right now... So I vacated my title."

"Instead of having a red tape on my wrist, I'll have a blue tape - I'll be the challenger."

"I never felt better physically, It is emotionally I need this. I want to live a little bit of a normal life. (I will be part of Tristar) but I wont have the pressure of competing."

"I will keep training as I am a martial artists... I think one day I will be back... I can't give a time for a return as that would put pressure on me."

"My life is a zoo right now," he said, laughing. "I know you guys are trying, but I am not going to tell you anything personal."

"I am content (with my legacy). I wanted to do things to be remembered, to take the sport to the next level."

UFC president Dana White agreed.

"I agree with Georges 100%," said White. "He sat down with us and said 'I have a lot of person problems right now. I cant imagine doing another camp.' This is fighting man. You have to be 100% enotionally and physically."

"The issues he's dealing with outside the octagon are driving him nuts. He's obsessing about it,"

White later went on to detail what happens to the title.

"March 15, Dallas, Texas, Johny Hendricks is fighting Robbie Lawler for the world title."

"I'm working on something else for Carlos Condit. I hope to have him on that card. A different direction (than Matt Brown). As far as I know Nick Diaz is retired."

"Life goes on..."

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I'm happy for GSP.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    Hats off, I'll always remember his epic battles (the ones I saw when they happened like Diaz, Condit, Shields) and the ones before I got into MMA (Hughes, Penn, Kosh).

Array

School
    Lookin'
    This sounds really good for GSP, I think he'll come back better and badder. I checked out his stats after the last fight and noticed he hasn't finished anybody in 5 years, this January. That's gotta be f'ing with his head too. Would be interesting if he focused on high-level JJ and straight up knockin' fools out, then came back and ran through people again.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I was rooting against him this last fight but he really was a great champion. I was so pumped when I got to watch him head kick Hughes and win the title.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Well time to grow the beard back for Hendricks next title run, IMO Matt Brown vs. Nick Diaz would actually be an amazing fight!

He's a class act. was cool to see him warming up with Kelvin Gastelum in Montreal before going out for what May have been his last title defense
    Keep your stick on the ice TO THE 10TH POWER!!!