Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin

Ryron and Rener Gracie: Special Techniques and BJJ History

Ryron shows a Toe Hold from the Side Mount, Rener shows an Armbar grip break from spiderweb. Thoughts on the techniques? Skip to 2:50 for the techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9wbqZgsL8

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    That's my Toe Hold!

I love these guys, so what I am about to say should not be construed as criticism against them...

Each of these gentlemen does something in this video that 10th Planet has always taken major heat for:

1. Claimed they invented a technique (the Toe Hold from Top Side Control).
    2. Gave a technique a goofy name (Trash Removal, Rat Removal).

They won't take any heat for it, nor should they. I just think it's rather ironic. The BJJ society has generally used these types of things as excuses to discredit Eddie Bravo. It's silly. Techniques need names, and of course new techniques are going to be invented; the Brothers Gracie said so themselves in this video!

Again, I don't mean to levy any criticism against Rener and Ryron. I think what they are doing in trying to bring Jiu Jitsu to the masses is amazing and I back that 100%. I also think they are excellent teachers. I'd just like to see everyone respected equally instead of dismissed because of preconceived prejudices.
    Last edited by Brandon Mccaghren; 01-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    That's my Toe Hold!

I love these guys, so what I am about to say should not be construed as criticism against them...

Each of these gentlemen does something in this video that 10th Planet has always taken major heat for:

1. Claimed they invented a technique (the Toe Hold from Top Side Control).
    2. Gave a technique a goofy name (Trash Removal, Rat Removal).

They won't take any heat for it, nor should they. I just think it's rather ironic. The BJJ society has generally used these types of things as excuses to discredit Eddie Bravo. It's silly. Techniques need names, and of course new techniques are going to be invented; the Brothers Gracie said so themselves in this video!

Again, I don't mean to levy any criticism against Rener and Ryron. I think what they are doing in trying to bring Jiu Jitsu to the masses is amazing I back that 100%. I also think they are excellent teachers.
    Well said. I agree that people in all walks of life and all beliefs need to take a step back now and again and look at things. Make sure you haven't become what you preach against. Jiujitsu, politics, religion, society in general.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I do like their phrase "keep it playful"... but, does anyone else feel like a 2nd grader when Rener is talking? I mean no disrespect... Just saying..

Array

School
    10th pl.-Ronin
    Well, it's about reaching the masses.. Not everyone is a genious. Besides, some of the people he adresses are indeed children. And he seems to have a very positive attitude!

I didn't like the "organic" approach a lot, the flexibility thing.. but I realize they have their style,and that's just a trait of their style.

Just like kung-fu flexibility is a 10th trait. (I like that better.) Different people have different preferences!

That toe hold was sneaky..! '-' I love toe holds!
    Last edited by Joachim Hoff; 01-05-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    respect to them and to brandons post as well. ive been thinking lately that Rener and Ryron are really bridging the gap between what 10th planet and gjj and bjj have. its ironic like brandon said, but i like it.

and scott, i think Rener is crack up. soooo much energy no matter what he does. love it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Ya, I want some of what he's smoking.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    Ya, I want some of what he's smoking.
    did he say hes based in california? i think he meant colorado. if u know what i mean

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    The BJJ society has generally used these types of things as excuses to discredit Eddie Bravo...
    Fortunately, the tide has shifted quite a bit in the past few years. Having Rogan and various UFC fighters shout out Eddie Bravo on occasion has helped. Having reputable competitors utilizing 10th Planet techniques has helped. Having Eddie consistently produce new videos showcasing new techniques or new spins on established techniques has helped. Having Rener Gracie bring Eddie on board for the Gracie Breakdown that covered the Twister helps. Having Jean Jaques promote Eddie (to 3rd degree?) helps. I could go on...

It's easy to dismiss someone like Eddie when he first pops on the scene talking about, "Hey get rid of the gi and everybody smoke weed" etc. But when you reach a point where he's put in more than a decade of instruction in this art, it becomes easier for people to accept that although Eddie may be different from the traditional BJJ instructor, there is a lot of validity in what he teaches.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I think Rener has been really respectful towards 10p. He even had Eddie on to do a twister breakdown. Hopefully 10p is starting to get the respect it deserves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast