The 4 WORST things to do at a tournament

Ok, one of these only applies to gi guys, but the other 2 apply to both gi and nogi.
    Don't do these things!

http://www.budovideos.com/blog/the-t...paign=budoblog

Funny that the title for the article is top four things, but they list five. That said, #5 all day - my first tourney I tried a knee bar as a white belt. Thankfully it was a terrible execution and the ref was nice enough to verbally warn me (smaller venue) so I was able to immediately let go. My opponent just shrugged, saying "I didn't know either" and the match continued. Since then I read the HECK out of those rules.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    My list:

1. Shitting you pants.
    2. Puking.
    3. Pissing your pants.
    4. Shitting your pants.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    "Reaping can almost always be avoided. Train with competition in mind. When going for ankle locks or kneebars, be mindful of where your feet are relative to your opponents body. "
    Umm... Zog...?

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Wow, I watched that IBJJf knee reaping video linked in the article. You can get a dq for a high side straight ankle lock even if your (non)reaping leg stays completely on the high side of the leg you are attacking. How ridiculous!?!

This only re-affirms my desire to never compete in any IBJJF event.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ash View Post
    "Reaping can almost always be avoided. Train with competition in mind. When going for ankle locks or kneebars, be mindful of where your feet are relative to your opponents body. "
    Umm... Zog...?
    All the respect in the world to Jake but...
    Yes, train with competition in mind... this article assumes all competitions are IBJJF competitions though.... Guys that train this way are EXTREMLY venerable to leg locks in other events.

Personally, IF I was going to do an event with the reaping rule, I would rather not do a leg lock than train them WRONG in order to build the muscle memory to do them in this event... Unless the ultimate goal for you IS an IBJJF event, in which case, I suppose the article is right, and you should just be the guy that gets subbed in all the other event... After all, all you care about is IBJJF right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    All the respect in the world to Jake but...
    Yes, train with competition in mind... this article assumes all competitions are IBJJF competitions though.... Guys that train this way are EXTREMLY venerable to leg locks in other events.

Personally, IF I was going to do an event with the reaping rule, I would rather not do a leg lock than train them WRONG in order to build the muscle memory to do them in this event... Unless the ultimate goal for you IS an IBJJF event, in which case, I suppose the article is right, and you should just be the guy that gets subbed in all the other event... After all, all you care about is IBJJF right?
    Yes, for sure, you need to train with the competition rules of the event you plan to compete in. I was writing more for IBJJF competitors as IBJJF events are the most popular BJJ comps. If you're planning to compete in an event that allows reaping, then by all means spar with reaping.

Case in point: I train at GB HQ and we always train IBJJF rules but when ADCC was coming around, all of us black belts were training nogi with reaps and heel hooks.

So yes, you need to train with competition in mind, thinking about the ruleset under which you're going to compete.

the worst thing you can do at a tournament is enter one with IBJJF rules!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Heap the knee

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by cade View Post
    the worst thing you can do at a tournament is enter one with IBJJF rules!
    This!